You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > Device Specific > iPhone 5S

Notices

iPhone 5S iPhone 5S Discussion | Help
NO JAILBREAKING QUESTIONS!

Story-iPhone 5S AT&T to Straight Talk
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
cartoon156
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 6.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: AT&T
Story-iPhone 5S AT&T to Straight Talk

Hi all,

I wanted to write this post for informational purposes in case anyone wanted to buy an iPhone 5S and save a couple of bucks a month. After doing a bunch of research, my goal was to go from an iPhone 4 AT&T to iPhone 5S Straight Talk.

Backstory
I got a notification from ATT that they changed my data plan because of tethering. I called them to say that it was a mistake and requested to switch it back to unlimited. Unfortunately, they told me that once the unlimited is taken off the account, it could not be given back. With a jailbroken iPhone 4 paying $55 a month on a family plan ($10 700 min shared, $30 3GB data, $5 200 text, $10 BS), I couldn't deal with their garbage anymore.

Getting the phone
The gold 5S was still sold out at the time, so I had to wait. When they were back in stock, I had to find a way to get the phone for the lowest price. Luckily, Black Friday was around the corner, and Best Buy offered the phone for $125+tax=$132. I bought the phone right away and set things up for my next step.

Getting the new plan
After googling a bunch of things, I learned that you could port your number and not pay an ETF. So I ordered my ATT-compatible sim+plan on the ST BYOP website for $52+tax. After free overnight shipping, I got my blue (LTE-capable) micro SIM. I went through the ST activation website, choosing "Activate sim with phone number from another company." The porting took less than a minute. I cut my sim down to nano size and switched the cards. I received all these voicemails congratulating me for opening an account.

Problems and Fix
After following their (outdated) instructions, I had problems with MMS, LTE, iMessage, etc etc. It was painful to add all these modifications in (sim swap, profile downloading, etc) and giving no success. It turned out that once I plugged in my phone, there was a carrier update. I installed it and now my phone had TFW (Tracfone Wireless) 15.7. Everything worked flawlessly (except Visual Voicemail).

Other Mods
Of course, I still missed my jailbreak since there were things on the phone that I wanted to do, such as tethering and downloading free paid apps... Luckily, I found some non-jailbreak workarounds.
Apps
I use an app called Tongbu to download cracked apps.
Tethering
Using Tongbu, I downloaded iRinger and followed instructions on how to set up an ad hoc connection.
Visual Voicemail
In the App Store I downloaded YouMail. Now it forwards all my voicemails to that app and can view whatever voicemails come in.

Conclusion
I'm done with ATT's bull prices and control over how much data I can use, but I can't deny that their coverage is awesome. After hearing mixed reviews about ST as well as the ETF loophole, I decided to take the risk. So far I spent a total of $185, and over the next two years that would total to $1265 for unlimited everything. If I stayed on AT&T, it would be $1505 for 700 min, 200 text, 3GB data in a family plan.

If you guys have any questions or would like to share your stories, post below.

Last edited by cartoon156; 12-13-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: etf trick works

Unread 12-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Topmeoff624
Swallow 4 A Follow

Device: iPhone 5
iOS Version: 7.0
Carrier: Sprint
If you were TRUELY teathering on Att, you won't even get close to doing that on straight talk. You may have the same cell coverage but you will realize how straight talk throttles you bad....

Unread 12-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
cartoon156
Jailbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmeoff624 View Post
If you were TRUELY teathering on Att, you won't even get close to doing that on straight talk. You may have the same cell coverage but you will realize how straight talk throttles you bad....
I was obviously tethering, but not that often. Still, they found out about it and I didn't want to worry about overage charges. If ST does the same, I'll change to something else. But for now, I'm getting some good speeds. Averaging 8 Mb/s download 1 Mb/s upload.

Unread 12-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Topmeoff624
Swallow 4 A Follow

Carrier: Sprint
ooooo straight talk will find out lol. The only reason ppl really dont deal with straight talk now.$45 a month LTE and u think there's no catch? Lol good luck on it tho

Unread 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
djdarkxd
A Flail Of God

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 6.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: Other
so you are saying you got and iphone 5s gold for 132 dollars?

Unread 12-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
lolroflmywaffle
T-Mobile $60/month

iOS Version: 7.1.x
I went to ST 2 years ago and all was fine for the first few months... when they see that you're tethering/streaming videos or music/downloading things on your phone, they WILL throttle your shit and say that you're "violating" their "unlimited" data plan

Currently I'm on T-Mobile paying $78/month after tax, but am enjoying good LTE speeds (50mb/s down.... 25mb/s up) and it's TRUE unlimited data + unlimited text/talk + IT'S BEEN ONE-YEAR AND THEY HAVEN'T BITCHED ABOUT MY UNAUTHORIZED TETHERING, YET
24 Months with AT&T service = $2500

24 Months with T-Mobile plan = $1450

Unread 12-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Trini
Jailbroken

iOS Version: 4.0.1
Dope , getting mines for christmas

Unread 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
zevdogs
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

iOS Version: 5.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolroflmywaffle View Post
I went to ST 2 years ago and all was fine for the first few months... when they see that you're tethering/streaming videos or music/downloading things on your phone, they WILL throttle your shit and say that you're "violating" their "unlimited" data plan

Currently I'm on T-Mobile paying $78/month after tax, but am enjoying good LTE speeds (50mb/s down.... 25mb/s up) and it's TRUE unlimited data + unlimited text/talk + IT'S BEEN ONE-YEAR AND THEY HAVEN'T BITCHED ABOUT MY UNAUTHORIZED TETHERING, YET
I love t-mobile also my 5s rocks at 60 Meg's and I normally use 30 gigs of data a month with no probs

Unread 12-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
djdarkxd
A Flail Of God

iOS Version: 6.1.2
it sucks for you now since they now are telling people that they put the 2.5 g data cap

---------- EDIT ----------

i move to metro pcs since they are now together with tmobile and im only paying 30 dollars a month with everything truly unlimited. I did something tho to bring my plan that low lol.

Unread 12-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
cartoon156
Jailbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdarkxd View Post
so you are saying you got and iphone 5s gold for 132 dollars?
From what I'm seeing on my bill, yes. One time activation fee = $36, and the rest of the charges that incurred up to my porting date = $35. I don't see an ETF :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolroflmywaffle View Post

I saw T-Mobile speeds on my friend's i5, and they're pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it's a choice of coverage vs. speed for me (T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage where I'm at). Their $30 unlimited data+text and 100 mins plan is tempting, though.

Unread 12-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
titanridah
Jailbroken

iOS Version: 4.3
thanks for the info

Unread 12-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
mickeyman7
iPhoneaholic

iOS Version: 4.3
I did the same thing about a year ago with my 4s and never incurred an etf

Unread 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
DarkRedTec
Jailbroken

I'm thinking about leaving AT&T cause their prices are getting ridiculously

Unread 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Jimmyboy1582
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

iOS Version: 7.1.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRedTec View Post
I'm thinking about leaving AT&T cause their prices are getting ridiculously
I am thinking of the same thing. I need to know what other options are there. I have been with AT&T for 5 years know and I am tired of paying high prices for everything.
If I helped, hit the THANKS button.