In this guide im going to hopefully teach complete noobs the basics and what you need to do to get going.
This is not all my own info here so thank the writters of the original threads too, i am simply putting everything to get people going in one place, i originaly started writting this for a few of my mates and thought id share it here too.
*First off you need to save your SHSH Blobs using TinyUmbrella,
-This will let you downgrade back to your current ios firmware as you can not do it through itunes without your SHSH blobs.
Beware- If you want to save your shsh blobs, you can only saved them for firmware which is the current firmware being signed by Apple. ie. When you hit update in itunes and it says what ever the current version is, thats the only blobs you can save, Any other firmware below that is not being signed, therefore you cant save the shsh blobs for those firmwares.
HOW TO: Use TinyUmbrella To Save Your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad’s SHSH Blobs - SiNfuL iPhone
The Firmware Umbrella: TinyUmbrella - Unified TinyTSS and The Firmware Umbrella in ONE!
*Because Crapple are constantly bringing out new versions of firmware I'm simply going list other guides to jailbreaking for each firmware version as it pointless me rewriting what others have done already, continue reading for what to do after you have jailbroken you idevice.
To find out what firmware you are on go to settings on your device, then go to General, then About, look for Version, depending on how old your device is or the last time it was updated with iTunes, the firmware could be really old, if you have old devices like iPhone/iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G i'd advise you to stay on 3.1.3 as this will make your device a lot faster and less likely to crash, however a lot of new apps and tweaks from cydia will network as some have been developed for new firmwares. If you want a newer firmware I'd recommend 4.1 as this has been made to make these old devices faster and have all the functions of the newer firmwares but it still won't be as fast as <3.1.3. if you search this forum you will find plenty of guides how to upgrade/downgrade firmware. This is where tinyumbrella comes into play.
Here is a link to a chart that will tell you what jailbreak to get for what phone and firmware.
iphone jailbreak table | iPhone News, Help and Guides
*This is a good point to tell you that
-You are going to have to Reboot your idevice quite a few times throughout this but dont worry, its fine, it just takes a while.
-If you Update your Firmware (do apple updates on itunes) you will loose everything to do with your jailbreak.
-This is the best thing you can do to an idevice, have fun
4.3.2 Sn0wbreeze 2.6 released untethered jailbreak for 4.3.2 with Multitouch gestures enabler - SiNfuL iPhone
4.3.1 Sn0wbreze 2.5 released untethered for 4.3.1 - SiNfuL iPhone
4.3[How To] Jailbreak iOS 4.3 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch Using Snowbreeze 2.3b1 - SiNfuL iPhone
4.2.1 Preserve BaseBand Sn0wbreeze 2.2 - for Creating iOS 4.2.1 Custom Firmware Available for Download - SiNfuL iPhone
4.2.1 Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 Untethered on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod, Apple TV with GreenPois0n RC5 | Redmond Pie
4.1- HOW TO: Jailbreak Your iPhone/iPod Touch With A Custom 4.1 Firmware Using Sn0wbreeze - SiNfuL iPhone
How to JailBreak your iPhone 4 using limera1n - SiNfuL iPhone
4.0.1- Jailbreakme.com, if the site dosnt appear to work just keep trying, you may need to try 30+ times before it starts the download. Instructions below.
To jailbreak your idevice using jailbreakme.com you need to open Safari on your idevice and go to Jailbreakme.com
and slide to unlock, simple as that
Now close Safari and open you will have a new icon called CYDIA. Open it. A box will probilly come up asking to do updates, press "essentials". Once its done its thing the Cydia home page will load up and you need to look for "
make my life easier", press it. then refresh once it goes blank and finishes its thing.
**Here is a video i made in my local Apple store to show you how to Jailbreakme.com, add sinful repo, add winterboard and download and apply a theme--->** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6PsXgpc_s
*Next we are going to add some REPOs,
-REPOs are where the apps come from, they are hosted on the www and Cydia shows and downloads them. Certain apps are only avalible on certain Repos so if you want a specific app and its only avalible on one Repo you need to add that Repo to get the app.
To ADD REPO, open Cydia, go to Manager
at the bottom, then press Sources
, then Edit
, then Add
The ones i have on mine at the moment are (type this into the box after the http:// and you only really need the sinful one and the ******** one)
*Next your going to go to Search
, search for PDF Patch
, press it, then press Install
. This is only needed for the jailbreakme jailbreak.
*Next you need to change your root and mobile passwords so people can not hack the shit out of you idevice. First open Cydia
for Mobile Terminal
and install it. Close Cydia, you will have a new icon called Terminal. For detailed instructions on how to change the passwords open Cydia
and wait for the home page to load, scroll down and click on Root Password How-to
, in here are the instructions. Your idevice is a lot safer now
*TO GET CRACKED(FREE) APPS
-Cracked apps(or appz) are basicly free, pirated apps, people buy once then do some witch craft and make them work(made in to ipa files) for free and they are put into Intallous
for you to download for free.
Basically, there is several different ways of getting cracked apps, the easiest by far is "installous". To get installous you need to add this repo, http://cydia.*******.us/
, once that is done search for installous, make sure you download the one from that repo! Once you have it, open it and its farly self explanitory, once you have downloaded the file, it might look like its just disapeared, press the "download" button a few times and it should be there. press the app when it comes up and then hit "install".
Alteritivly, the way i do it with big files is to download the file on my laptop then SSH into the phone/pod/pad and drop the file into the Installous folder, once you have disconnected your device, open Installous and hit "Install".
When you download installous it should also install AppSync, This will let the apps sync with itunes when you plug in.
*TO UNLOCK your iphone you need ultrasn0w. Open Cydia
and Search ultrasn0w
(with a zero not an o), get the sinfuliphone one and install it. Done.
*SSH'ing Into your iDevice Folders, you may not find your self needing to do this yet but its better that you learn it beacause one day you will need it, its very handy to have on your idevice incase of a problem, if your phone/pod/pad bricks, you can sometimes still get info off the device before the dreaded restore.
You need to download "OpenSSH" from Cydia. You also need a file browsing program on your pc/mac, i use iFunbox but there is plenty of alternitives depending on your preferances.
Basically, open ifunbox, plug your device in, you'll see it come up on the left at the top, click on your device and the files will be there.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHICH FOLDER TO PUT THINGS IN AND IF YOU EVER WANT TO ALTER FILES MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP WHAT EVER YOU CHANGE, AND MAKE SURE YOU KEEP NOTES OF WHAT YOU HAVE CHANGED, YOU WILL FORGET lol its well worth making notes so if you get a problem you know what could have caused it.
You can also use "iFile Cracked" from sinful repo in cydia for browsing files on your device.
*PkgBackup Cracked is next up, Search it in Cydia and install it.
-This saves all of your Cydia stuff as a contact in itunes so if you ever have to restore you can just load it all back up from itunes.
*Next is SBSettings, This IS AMAZING however not everyone will want this but i find it very useful,
it is basicly settings switches for things like Brightness, Bluetooth, wifi, 3g, etc, it also gives you the ability to reboot, put in safe mode, you can free up memory, close all open apps, it also lets you HIDE ICONS on your Springboard, ie if you dont want people to know you have a certain app!! lol
Its a must have on most peoples idevices.
Open by sliding the status bar at the top of your screen instead of going to settings, then general then etc...
To get it, open Cydia
and Search SBSetting
, install it, Done.
*Winterboard/Themes are next, we need Winterboard to apply Themes to our idevices. You can add different Themes to your idevices, everything from changing your homescreen to the type of slider you have to unlock your idevice to the colour of the volume box to the fonts used etc... you get the picture, basicly customise the way absolutly everything looks.
To get it Search
To get Themes you need to open Cydia
and go to Section
, go down to Themes
and have a browse, if your using an iphone 4 you need to see if the theme will work for you as most the themes are made for pre-iphone 4 type of screens.
Install the one you want weather it be a complete theme or just a different colour lockscreen battery then close Cydia and go and open Winterboard
, Select Themes
, then remember what you just installed and select that one, i also select black navigation bars too as it goes with my theme, once you have ticked the ones you want to apply press winterboard
in the top corner then Respring
, this will respring(basicly reload) your home screen and apply what you have selected.
this ^ is the Vivid theme i left on the ipod in my local Apple store
*There is so much more you can do to make full use of your idevice but these are the basics and what most noobs jailbreak for, if you need any more help the Search function will bring most things up.
Here is a list of the most popular cydia apps/tweaks and a brief description of what they do, i suggest you research a little into them before downloading them.
********: CRACKED APPZ GUIDES
* 3G Unrestrictor : Trick the apps on thinking they are on WiFi , even though you are on 3G or EDGE (or My3G)
* AndroidLock XT : Have a lock passcode similar to Android
* AnyRing : Select any music on your iPod library to play as a ringtone
* AppCake : Download and install cracked applications from AppStore
* AppLocket : Lock all iPhone apps with a motion lock/unlocker
* App Switcher Rotator : Plugin that Addresses a Display Optimization Issue Currently Existent in the iPhone
* AttachmentSaver : Extension to the iPhone's Mail app that allows you to save attachment
* aTimeTool : Set timers that allow the ability to turn on/off your iPhone’s Airplane mode, Power, WiFi etc...
* Auto3G : Extend your battery life by automatically turning off the 3G (for 2G) when you lock your iPhone
* Auto ShutDown : Timer that you set to shut down, reboot etc, your device at a time interval you set
* BackLiter : Adjust your brightness
* BiteSMS : Replacement to the built-in Messaging application
* Buzzy : Manage your Google Buzz account
* CallClear : Delete your calls one by one in your history instead of deleting them all
* CallController : Use the built in accelerometer to control your calls. AutoAnswer calls while using headphones
* Call Counter : Call Counting app
* CallTell : Announce who's calling you before ringing
* Categories : Allow SpringBoard's icons to be grouped into folders
* Chronus : Keep multiple states of a particular program by saving its preferences/settings/databases
* CodeThemed : Create WinterBoard themes for your iPhone or iPod touch
* Cycorder : Video recorder for iPhone 3G
* CyDialer : Show your favorite contacts on the lockscreen of your iPhone
* Cyntact : Display profile pictures in the contact lists
* DisplayOut : Mirror screen on external display via Apple's vga and composite cables
* DisplayRecorder : Record your iPhone display activity and save videos as .avi files (or ScreenRecorder)
* Dock : App like Dock of Mac OSX,that can manage the background processes, app shortcuts, etc...
* Elert : Whether you're surfing, reading text messages, or playing a game, you can get a quick email alert
* EnhancedTabs : Make Safari's tabs much better
* External iPod Controls : Convert your volume buttons into iPod controls
* EZDecline : Restore the "Accept"/"Decline" buttons from a call, EVEN when your phone is currently asleep/locked
* FaceBreak : Enable FaceTime over 3G
* FastSnap : Allow taking photos/videos using the volume controls (or SnapTap)
* Firewall IP : Add a firewall to your iPhone
* FolderEnhancer : Enhance your iOS4's native folders (no limits, faster...)
* FoldersinFolders : Add Folders inside Folders
* Front Contacts : Quick way to contact through the lockscreen with a really simple and friendly interface
* FullPreview : Show you the complete Music Videos for your preferred songs right in the iTunes.app
* FullScreen for Safari : Offer not only a FullScreen mode: also makes Safari a real multitouch browser
* GPower Pro : Easily perform commonly needed power operations not available from the power down screen
* Gridlock : Arrange your icons however you would like
* GroupSend : Allow to send a message to many people in a few taps
* GuizmoVPN : OpenVPN Gui for iPhone, designed to be easy to setup, configure and run
* Home Page in Safari : Set a home page in Mobile Safari by simply tapping the "+" button
* iAccounts : Create users on your iDevice and set different permissions to them
* iBlacklist : Create a blacklist or whitelist for filtering your contacts
* iBlueNova : Free your bluetooth and allows you the file-swapping, ringings, videos between iPhones
* iBluever : Use your phone's 3G/GPRS network by connecting to the Bluetooth Dial-up Networking service
* iBye : Backup your data and store that data on a FTP server of your choosing
* iCallAnnounce : Announce (in a human voice) the name of the caller you're just receiving a call from
* iClassic : Media player for your library, that mimics the interface of the famous iPod Classic
* IconHavester : Let you switch alternate icons for your theme on you phone with a nice gui
* Iconoclasm : Break free from rows and columns, and simply have icons placed freely on your home screen
* iControl : Automatically manage the state of your WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth, and 2G radios to maximize the battery life of your iPhone (or Auto3G)
* iFile : File Manager and Viewer
* iGoogler : Fast access to many applications like Gmail, Youtube, Google reader, etc…
* iGotYa : Take a picture of the thief or persons face and get the location where your iPhone is
* iLockMusic : Show you the content of your musical Library on your lockscreen
* iNES : Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) emulator for iPhone / iPod Touch
* Infiniboard : Have a vertical scrolling of your Springboard's icons
* Infinidock : Full dock customization: scrolling, adjustable icon amounts, and more
* Infinifolders : Add more than 12 applications in the same Folder
* Insomnia Pro : Allow applications to continue to run and WiFi to stay connected after lock the screen
* Instapaper plugin : Browser support for the popular Instapaper
* Intelliscreen : Access your SMS, mails, calendar etc... on your Lockscreen (or LockInfo)
* iPicMyContacts : Display the contact picture next to it's name inside the contacts and favorites screens
* iPod Remote Controller : This is the server for the iPod Remote Controller
* iRealSMS : Get a real SMS service
* iRemix : Enhance your iPod experience with some features
* iScheduler : Automation tool on iPhone, scheduler your iPhone
* iSilent : Define automatically your iPhone in silent mode when you are in meeting or anything else
* iSNES : Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator for iPhone / iPod Touch
* iStrings : Easily change thier system default strings ("Slide to unlock" etc...) in a nice and clean interface
* iTracker : Help you to recover your iPhone in case you lose it
* iWep PRO : WEP/WPA cracking utility which relies on exploiting the default key generation algorithms of routers
* iWhiteboard : Draw on any app, even 3D games, YouTube, and live camera images, etc...
* Landscape Lock Rotation : Lock the application you want in Landscape mode with Multitask Lock button
* LockDown Pro : Password protect any of your applications
* Lockdown (Pro) SBSettings Toggle : SBSettings toggle for the application Lockdown Pro
* LockInfo : Customize your lockscreen to get the information you need, when you need it
* LocktoPus : Password-protect individual apps DIRECTLY from SpringBoard
* Longitude : Keep the location of your iPhone up-to-date with Google Latitude
* LSRotator : Rotate your LockScreen (or SBRotator)
* MarkThatMessage : Timestamps for ALL messages(SMS/MMS)
* MeCanto : Listen to your entire music collection on your iPhone and on the web
* MCallShow : Let you know the information of the phone number, like which network that number belongs to
* MiTime : Fix this issue to activate FaceTime
* Mobile Kiosk : Quickly access system information no matter what application you are in
* Mobile Profiles : Create custom profiles with iPhone system settings
* mQuickDo : Operate iPhone easily, like exit a program, reboot or power off, switch or quit a task, etc...
* MultiCleaner : Replace the Apple multitasking by a real one
* Multifl0w : Visual multitasking for the iPhone and iPad
* MultiMusicInfo : Show you all of the information of the song right in the Multitask playing bar
* MusicBarExtended : Provide a pleasing method of controlling your music from your status bar
* mSecret : Security software, specially developed for iphone to keep your information
* My3G : Make your apps believe that they are on WiFi instead of 3G (or 3G Unrestrictor)
* MyOS : Easily enable or disable iOS4 features on your iDevice straight from Settings.app
* MyWi : Create a WiFi HotSpot with a press of a finger (or PdaNet)
* Navigate From Maps : Navigate with your GPS application installed to the location indicated into Maps
* NotesFont : Set the font names and sizes of note titles and note contents in MobileNotes app
* Notified Pro : Add notifications in your iDevice
* Notifier + : Give the ability to create and schedule reminders for many kinds of events
* Notify Pro : Send SMS, Call, Email, and Push notifications to any PC/Mac machine that is running Growl
* Overboard : Suickly switch between page to page of SpringBoard
* PanicRoom : Clear all your personal needs, such as: SMS/MMS, Every Email Account, All Phone Logs etc...
* Panorama : Bring the ANDROID's panoramic wallpaper to the iPhone
* PagePreview : Preview all your SpringBoard pages without leaving your current page
* PdaNet : Turn your iPhone into a true WiFi router for your computer to go online through 3G (or MyWi)
* PerPage : Set a wallpaper for every single springboard page
* Pirni Pro : Network sniffer for the iPhone/iPod Touch that includes a native ARP spoofer
* PkgBackup : Backup application that allows you to back up and restore all Cydia packages installed in your iphone
* PlaceTrack : Background updater for Google Latitude
* PlayAwake : Use iPod music as alarm clock sound
* PopMark : Mark all email messages as read for POP accounts
* Popup Blocker : Control the annoying alerts that popup all over your iPhone or iPod
* PurgeSent : Remove all Sent Items from iPhone for POP email accounts
* psx4all : Game emulator of Playstation
* PwnMail : Send free fake emails to anyone
* qTweeter : Tweet and update your Facebook status
* QuickDo : Add a virtual Home on your Lockscreen
* QuickReply for SMS : Reply to a SMS quickly from your Lockcreen or directly from an application
* Recent / CallLog Delete : Remove one by one calls in your recent call list (or CallClear)
* RemindMeLater : Calendar reminders the way they were meant to be
* Resupported : Play videos on your TV
* RockRing : Change your iPhone Ringtone at pre-defined time
* roqyBT : Connect your iPod Touch / iPhone to a GPS bluetooth device
* Safari Download Manager : Extension that adds a download manager to the iPhone's web browser
* SBRotator : Permit your icons to adapt themselves to your springboard in landscape mode(or LSRotator)
* SBSchedule : Define profile groups of SBSettings on/off toggles state enabled on scheduled times
* SBSimplify : Set any gesture actions to hide or show the Dock and the Status Bar
* ScreenDimmer : Save battery life by automatically dimming your device's screen after a pre-defined time
* ScreenRecorder : Take videocaptures of your screen for 45sec (or DisplayRecorder)
* Shrink : Downscale your SpringBoard icons so that you can fit more on one page
* Signal : Map the cell towers you are connected to and display detailed cellular information
* SMS Counter : SMS Counting app
* Snappy : Enable to take photos while running any app on your iPhone screen without having to close it
* SnapTap : Take photos or videos with lateral buttons of volume (or FastSnap)
* Snes4iPhone : Super Nintendo emulator for the iphone and iPod Touch (or iSNES)
* Splash : Set your personal picture, wallpaper or loading screen as splashscreen on every app launch
* SpringSorter : Display to the top of your Springboard the most used applications on your iPhone
* SpringVibe : Select the vibratin mode you want on the application you want
* SwirlyMessage : Send and receive real SMSes and MMSes with your iPad 3G
* Synchronicity : Use your device while it syncs with iTunes
* Tapp : Launch multiple applications using a single icon
* TetherMe : Enable native tethering
* ToneFXs : Customize your iPhone's sounds
* TwitScreen : Use Twitter directly from your Lockscreen
* UniScribe : Create, open, save, and delete notes from inside all your apps
* Universal Search : Plugin for Spotlight feature which will permit you to use instant search on the web
* WiCarrier : Replace Your iPhones Carrier Name With Connected WiFi Network
* WiFi Analyzer : Detect and display the information of all wireless networks around you
* xPod : Music player that plays directly from the filesystem without the need for iTunes
* YFiSelect : Give you quick access to your WiFi network options from anywhere
* YourTube : Addon to YouTube application on your iDevice which permits you to download videos
* YourTubeHD : same addon as YourTube but for iPad
* yxFlash : Video player for mobile devices supporting iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT “SAFE MODE” ON A JAILBROKEN IPHONE - SiNfuL iPhone
This is the first guide i have written for anything other than car related stuff so might be a bit rubbish, if there is anything wrong or that you think could be improved please let me know. Also if there is anything that you feel should be added that would be helpful for noobs and anything else that really should be added/installed to make your first jailbreak safer and better etc let me know.
Hit the thanks if this helped or