Thanks for your response. I've literally worked on this issue for months, and today I am pleased to report it SOLVED!!! by following the instructions below.
I'm not certain what portion actually is responsible for my "breakthrough" ... the hosts file? fixrecovery 4.3? Maybe this will be of help to someone else.
The url is
IOS 4.3.3 iphone could not be restored error 1013 - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
(snipped from the post from Paik4Life dtd Jul 26, 2011)
Here are my explicit directions:
1. tinyumbrella AND Fix Recovery from here (right side): The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
2. 4.3.3 firmware from here: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-i...-direct-links/
1. Have your SHSH on file with TU
2. Go to advanced in TU and make sure you have both Cydia options UNCHECKED
3. Open terminal and enter "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (do not include ""s), comment out any lines with any gs.apple.com in it by adding # at the very beginning of EACH line. Option+O to save, then Option+X to exit. Close terminal.
1. Open TU and start TSS server (TU will automatically kill iTunes if it was open)
2. Open iTunes and Option+click restore. Find 4.3.3 firmware and choose it.
3. Wait for 1013 error and your iPhone is in recovery mode (iTunes icon and cable).
4. Start Fix Recovery app (not the fix recovery button in TU). Choose the fixrecovery43 (stands for 4.3)
5. Put your iPhone in DFU mode by holding Power+Home until the screen goes black. Wait about 1-2 seconds and release Power but continue holding Home. If you did this correctly the screen will remain black and Fix Recovery will start its process. If the Apple logo comes up, repeat this step until you get it right.
6. Wait a while. Your iPhone will automatically restart and show up in iTunes. iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.
7. Restore and jailbreak.
Hope this helps. Thanks to all the helpful tips (even the ones that didn't work). Ultimately, thank you to gruppe who made me realize use the separate Fix Recovery tool, not the one built into TU.