You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > Device Specific > iPod Touch

Notices

iPod Touch iPod Touch (All Generations) Discussion | Help
NO JAILBREAKING QUESTIONS!

Infinite Boot Loop after Updating Cydia Packages (09.28.2010)
Unread 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
excalibur77
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPod Touch 3
iOS Version: 4.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: Other
Icon9 Infinite Boot Loop after Updating Cydia Packages (09.28.2010)

(Sorry if you find the post quite long. I just wanted to make sure that I gave as much information as possible, so someone can help me.)

Yesterday, my iPod Touch 3G 32GB 3.1.3 (jailbroken with Spirit last May) was working just fine. Until I noticed 5 updates on Cydia this morning, that is. I can't remember the name of the packages, because I usually just hit update whenever I see new versions available.

All I can remember is that Activator was one of them.

The reason why Activator stood out for me in the package updates section was because just a couple days ago, this guy I'm following on Twitter tweeted "Activator has a very disgusting bug. It keeps crashing my springboard into safe mode." I didn't pay much attention to it because I just assumed it was probably because of the firmware he's currently on (I think 4.0+), and he was making a custom theme at the time, too.

Since I'm on 3.1.3, I went and updated the 5 packages with new versions available on Cydia, anyway.

After all of them (the 5 packages) finished downloading and installing, it was time to respring my springboard. When I hit respring, it loaded and loaded...and loaded...until the screen flashed white for a sec, indicating that it's doing a complete system reboot. Then, the Apple logo appeared. After that, it's been in this infinite boot loop ever since.

I think I can just restore (was able to put my device into DFU mode, and iTunes acknowledged that my device is in recovery mode), but I actually prefer if I didn't have to restore. I haven't backed-up my packages in Cydia and everything, and I don't want to lose them all and go through them again 1-by-1 because, considering how anal I am when it comes to customizing, I know it'll take me forever. Like I said, I think I can restore, but I'm not really sure (I hope to god there won't be any sort of error if I did try) because I haven't really tried restoring yet (only went so far as have iTunes recognize that my device is in recovery mode).

What I've done so far is:

1.) Asked for someone's help online. They instructed me to get iPhone Browser and "USB" into my device from there (he wanted me to remove "the mobilesubstrate that is causing the crash"). Problem is, I don't have afc2add installed, and you need that for complete root access if you're going to use tools like iPhone Browser and iFunBox. I hear there are a couple ways to install afc2add, which is (a) via Cydia, and (b) manually locate, back-up, and modify a copy of the plist file. The thing is, since I'm in a boot loop, I can't SSH into my device normally via wifi (which would be the easy way to locate the plist file). To gain root access on my device via iPhone Browser, I have to have afc2add installed. Bottom line is, there's no way for me to get my original plist file via iPhone Browser, because the tool (including iFunBox) displays my device as "jailed" instead of "jailbroken."

2.) I read of a way to get out of an infinite boot loop using Tiny Umbrella. All you have to do is put your device into DFU mode while plugged into the computer, have Tiny Umbrella running, and click "Kick Out of Recovery Mode" to have it boot normally. It works for some people (although, I'm aware there are a hundred different ways a device could fall into an infinite boot loop. Maybe that's why this method only works for some). I tried it myself and, needless to say, it didn't work for me. My device is still in this infinite boot loop.

Can someone please help me get out of this infinite boot loop?
Please don't suggest a restore (not right now, anyway), because I already gave my reasons why I'm avoiding a restore for now. What I'm looking for is an alternative way to get out of this boot loop, the two methods above didn't work for me.

EDIT #1:
I think what I need is a way to get into /System/Library/Lockdown/ to be able to backup and modify the Services.plist file, so I can add "afc2" so iPhone Explorer or iFunBox will be able to detect that my device is jailbroken, so it'll finally give me complete root access to my device.

Is this even possible at all, considering that I'm in an infinite boot loop and there's no way for me to normally SSH into it via wifi (meaning I can't access /System/Library/Lockdown/)?

EDIT #2
I found a solution for it. Will probably post some links and instructions as to how I was able to fix it tomorrow for others who might need 'em (kind of in a hurry right now). Found out it was Iconoclasm that was causing the crash. Substituted it with Five Column Springboard now (I use Gridlock, anyway, so I have no use for Iconoclasm's layouting features).

Last edited by excalibur77; 10-01-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to excalibur77 For This Useful Post:
herr.327 (09-01-2011)

Unread 10-02-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
system123
n00b

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.1
hey Buddy can you explain how you were able to fix neverending boot loop without restoring.. I for one badly need a solution....

Unread 10-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
DeepUnknown
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

Device: iPod Touch 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by system123 View Post
hey Buddy can you explain how you were able to fix neverending boot loop without restoring.. I for one badly need a solution....
It will be better to restore because no matter what the system is screwed, repairing is not always a good choice.
for example, you had a windows machine and got all infected in viruses, cleaning up the system means deleting infected files, which means system will lose some of it's files and the only fix for that is a format and reinstall!
The same thing applies to your iDevice (IMO )it's in an infinite boot loop, it went to that loop cuz of a screw up in the system, that's why I think restoring in these cases is much better even though we will have to reinstall and add lots of things to the device after jailbreaking, but at least I will guaranty that my device is not gonna act crazy out of the sudden
----------------------------------------------
Daughter - i Pod
Son - i Phone
Mom - i Pad
Dad - I Pay -_-
No Gains Without Pains
(R.I.P) iPod Touch 2G MB Model, Running 4.2.1
Jailbroken By: Redsn0w 0.9.6

LockDown ios 4.1
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
MondheR
n00b

Device: iPad 2
iOS Version: 4.3
LockDown ios 4.1

solution to Active lockdown Iphone
Step by Step How To Do

first start the itune 10

second put the device on the dfu mode

the restore it using that customise firmware

then after restoring use One Sim or Spirit Sim or Super X Sim or any activation Sim Card

then after that iFunBox to Delete the LockDown Folder Here

/private/var/root/Library/ then put the new LockDown folder that you download
( because after i restore my iphone using that customize firmware then i insert a different sim they turn into a emergency call )

REBOOT DEVICE

then after that use the 3G And 3G's Method unlocking without wifi

then reboot the device twice

Download Files This Link : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9ZSSCRW0

Unread 10-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
excalibur77
iPhoneaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by system123 View Post
What did you do before the boot loop started? If you were messing around with a Cydia app, or updated some packages in Cydia, installed new ones, etc. Then I bet you're experiencing the same thing I did.

All I did was use WinSCP (assuming you're also on Windows) to SSH into my device. YES, it's possible to SSH into your boot looping device. There's a small window (about a minute or so), so you're going to have to time it just right. To have an idea when to log into WinSCP, just plug your boot looping device to your computer using the USB cord. On mine, it took more or less 15 minutes (every cycle of the loop) for the "charging" sound to go off. When that sound goes off, you can log into WinSCP. It'll detect your device. If not, just wait until it responds. WinSCP will give you a clue once it's detected your device. It'll say:

Searching for host...
Connecting to host...
Authenticating...
Using username "xxx"...

Once that ^ appears, type in your password and you're in.

(The easier way to go to the root of your device would to be to just use iPhone Explorer on the PC, which will detect an iDevice via USB. The thing is, you need to have "afc2add" installed via Cydia. If you don't have it installed, iPhone Explorer, iFunBox, etc. can't give you direct root access to your device).

Anyway, once you're in, just head on to:

/Library/MobileSubstrate

Inside that folder, there's another folder called "DynamicLibraries"

Copy it to your PC for back-up (just right-click on it and hit Copy; it'll save it to the last folder you used). Remember, you need to hurry because you're going to have to wait another 15 minutes to regain access to your device's root folder (it's not a long wait, but it can get frustrating considering how many times you're gonna have to go through it). After making a back-up of "DynamicLibraries", open the folder (not the back-up, of course, but the one in your device's root), and one-by-one delete the dylib files you can see on there. It's just a process of elimination. Delete one dylib file, wait about 10 seconds, re-copy the dylib file from your back-up back to the root (yes, keep your back-up folder opened...just drag and drop the dylib files to WinSCP). Delete another dylib file, wait 10 seconds, re-copy the dylib to the root again...and so on and so on. The reason why you wait 10 seconds is because if you delete the dylib file that's causing the boot loop, your device will work normally again (the lockscreen will appear). *Don't delete the plist, because that thing stores your settings. Once you figure out what dylib file is causing the problem, you can wait for an update for the app, install it again, and it'll retain your previous settings.

I think that's it. That how I figured out that it was the dylib for Iconoclasm that was causing the boot loop. I have since substituted it with Five Column Springboard. If you have Iconoclasm installed, you should start by deleting the dylib for that. I bet that's what's causing your boot loop as well.

Here's another method that's kind of similar, but different.
There's a lot of useful information in the article too.
[How to] Fix an iPod Touch/iPhone not booting up properly.

P.S. A "factory restore" is a last resort for me. Like I said, I discovered that it was the dylib for Iconoclasm that was causing the crash. If there's a way to find out if an app is causing the problem instead of just automatically assuming "there's a virus," I would go for it. I have been jailbroken since May of this year, and I have already done so many things to my iPod ever since, to make it rock even more. I honestly don't want to go through all that work again -- NOT when I have a choice. Boot loops are not always caused by viruses (I don't think viruses ever cause boot loops). It's usually just a problematic dylib file. If you can do something about it, do it. Do not restore unless you no longer have an option.

Last edited by excalibur77; 10-03-2010 at 10:33 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to excalibur77 For This Useful Post:
ashion7 (12-13-2012), herr.327 (09-01-2011), Lister Of Smeg (10-03-2010), ShardsOfGlass (08-20-2011), torres1944 (11-29-2010)

Unread 10-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
slugrail
MODDER-HACKER-PROGRAMMER

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 5.0.1
Carrier: Vodafone
The .plist file actually contains the execution daemon whenever MobileSubstrate is loaded(every boot I guess). But then again firmware 1.1 and 4.1 have changed alot so mind me if I'm wrong.
Twitter: @slugrail
IPA Installer for iOS 5+:

Download!
Dropbox: direct links + backups | [/CENTER]

Unread 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
tacticalrhasta
n00b

iOS Version: 4.1
i'm having the same problem here. I've installed iconoclasm, and it crashed after i resprung it.
now it's on an endless 'apple logo' loop. Problem is, I can't get the 'battery charge sound' to work. i've only managed to connect to ifunbox only when i hear the charge sound. How do i go about activating it? Thanks.

Unread 12-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
excalibur77
iPhoneaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalrhasta View Post
i'm having the same problem here. I've installed iconoclasm, and it crashed after i resprung it.
now it's on an endless 'apple logo' loop. Problem is, I can't get the 'battery charge sound' to work. i've only managed to connect to ifunbox only when i hear the charge sound. How do i go about activating it? Thanks.
Why is it not working for you? I already tried my best at explaining it as thoroughly as possible in my posts above. I can't help you beyond that. =(

Let me give this another shot.

Two things you need to know:
1.) You have two options. SSH into your iDevice using either iFunBox/iPhoneExplorer/etc (via USB ) OR WinSCP (via Wi-Fi).
2.) You can only use the USB option if you already have "afc2add" installed (which can be downloaded via Cydia). This tweak (afc2add) gives you root access if you SSH into your device using the USB option (iFunBox/iPhoneExplorer); you don't need this if you use the Wi-Fi option (WinSCP). I didn't have this particular tweak installed (it doesn't come with the jailbreak, you have to find it on Cydia yourself and install it) when I experienced the crash, that's why I had to use the Wi-Fi option (WinSCP).

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "can't get the charging sound to work," because all iDevices charge when connected to the PC via USB. That "charging sound" I'm talking about is the window you have to SSH into your device (once it starts charging, that means your device is On and connected to your home's Wi-Fi...meaning you can use WinSCP to SSH into your device), and you're going to have to hurry because it's going to reboot again (if this happens, just don't touch the WinSCP window...it's gonna hang...leave it on the folder you're in, wait for the charging sound again, log into WinSCP again, then proceed to the next steps stated in my post above).

I really hope this helps.

P.S. Sorry for the late response. I have a ton of projects on queue.

Worked beautifully...THANK YOU!!
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
herr.327
n00b

Device: iPhone 4
Carrier: Verizon
Worked beautifully...THANK YOU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur77 View Post
What did you do before the boot loop started? If you were messing around with a Cydia app, or updated some packages in Cydia, installed new ones, etc. Then I bet you're experiencing the same thing I did.

All I did was use WinSCP (assuming you're also on Windows) to SSH into my device. YES, it's possible to SSH into your boot looping device. There's a small window (about a minute or so), so you're going to have to time it just right. To have an idea when to log into WinSCP, just plug your boot looping device to your computer using the USB cord. On mine, it took more or less 15 minutes (every cycle of the loop) for the "charging" sound to go off. When that sound goes off, you can log into WinSCP. It'll detect your device. If not, just wait until it responds. WinSCP will give you a clue once it's detected your device. It'll say:

Searching for host...
Connecting to host...
Authenticating...
Using username "xxx"...

Once that ^ appears, type in your password and you're in.

(The easier way to go to the root of your device would to be to just use iPhone Explorer on the PC, which will detect an iDevice via USB. The thing is, you need to have "afc2add" installed via Cydia. If you don't have it installed, iPhone Explorer, iFunBox, etc. can't give you direct root access to your device).

Anyway, once you're in, just head on to:

/Library/MobileSubstrate

Inside that folder, there's another folder called "DynamicLibraries"

You just saved me hours upon hours of time because I will not have to restore my device and re-jailbreak. I installed a version of an application that apparently was not compatible with my device. Upon finishing the download and respringing, my device went into an infinite boot loop. I immediately thought about using SSH to access my files but had no idea where to look to uninstall the package. I knew that I could uninstall the application file but I didn't think that would delete all of the other system files that could be plaguing my device. Your instructions as to where to look were spot on and allowed me to access my device to use cydia to remove the application. Thanks!

Copy it to your PC for back-up (just right-click on it and hit Copy; it'll save it to the last folder you used). Remember, you need to hurry because you're going to have to wait another 15 minutes to regain access to your device's root folder (it's not a long wait, but it can get frustrating considering how many times you're gonna have to go through it). After making a back-up of "DynamicLibraries", open the folder (not the back-up, of course, but the one in your device's root), and one-by-one delete the dylib files you can see on there. It's just a process of elimination. Delete one dylib file, wait about 10 seconds, re-copy the dylib file from your back-up back to the root (yes, keep your back-up folder opened...just drag and drop the dylib files to WinSCP). Delete another dylib file, wait 10 seconds, re-copy the dylib to the root again...and so on and so on. The reason why you wait 10 seconds is because if you delete the dylib file that's causing the boot loop, your device will work normally again (the lockscreen will appear). *Don't delete the plist, because that thing stores your settings. Once you figure out what dylib file is causing the problem, you can wait for an update for the app, install it again, and it'll retain your previous settings.

I think that's it. That how I figured out that it was the dylib for Iconoclasm that was causing the boot loop. I have since substituted it with Five Column Springboard. If you have Iconoclasm installed, you should start by deleting the dylib for that. I bet that's what's causing your boot loop as well.

Here's another method that's kind of similar, but different.
There's a lot of useful information in the article too.
[How to] Fix an iPod Touch/iPhone not booting up properly.

P.S. A "factory restore" is a last resort for me. Like I said, I discovered that it was the dylib for Iconoclasm that was causing the crash. If there's a way to find out if an app is causing the problem instead of just automatically assuming "there's a virus," I would go for it. I have been jailbroken since May of this year, and I have already done so many things to my iPod ever since, to make it rock even more. I honestly don't want to go through all that work again -- NOT when I have a choice. Boot loops are not always caused by viruses (I don't think viruses ever cause boot loops). It's usually just a problematic dylib file. If you can do something about it, do it. Do not restore unless you no longer have an option.
You just saved me hours upon hours of time because I will not have to restore my device and re-jailbreak. I installed a version of an application that apparently was not compatible with my device. Upon finishing the download and respringing, my device went into an infinite boot loop. I immediately thought about using SSH to access my files but had no idea where to look to uninstall the package. I knew that I could uninstall the application file but I didn't think that would delete all of the other system files that could be plaguing my device. Your instructions as to where to look were spot on and allowed me to access my device to use cydia to remove the application. Thanks!

Unread 10-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
jimaiwr
gaol br0ken

Device: iPhone 5
iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
hey guys... i have a problem here, usually i fix my iphone easily but this time it's proven to be a bit of a challenge. I have an iphone 4 running on 4.1. I updated a bunch of cydia apps, rebooted, then got the infinite reboot loop...

The thing is, that when it's rebooting it doesn't even seem to be charging, theres no vibration or anything, diskaid, iphonexplorer, or ifunbox cannot seem to detect it.... though when i force shutdown and plug th eusb in it turns on,..

I can get it to DFU or Recovery mode, but my aim is to backup the photos, contacts etc..

So please any suggestions of how I can copy files from my iphone?
Thanks lots in advance,

-jim.
hit THANKS if I helped

Unread 10-31-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
DCFCDJ
Sheep Shagger

Device: iPhone 5
iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Thanked 4,622 Times in 1,093 Posts
Well if nothing can see your phone including WinSCP then you're screwed!

If any of my links are broken, PM me and I'll fix them ASAP

I helped you right? So hit that "Thanks" button! I may return it one day

iPhone 3GS 16GB - Jailbroken with redsn0w
iPhone 5 64GB - Jailbroken with evasi0n7

Unread 11-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
betalkin
n00b

Wow, thanks alot, tried everything, but following your instructions I found SnapTap to be the issues, again, thanks.........

Unread 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
LouWeegie
n00b

iOS Version: 3.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 9
Carrier: T-Mobile
hEY eXCALIBER......Im confused...How could you access through WinScp when you cant boot to get your IP address?
Im new to WinSCP...so all I can tell is that you need to WIFI connect and you need the IP of Iphone...Which I cant get due to looping boot.
BTW, I have the exact issue you had...silly me tried to update Cydia when I didnt need to...havnt backed up my data in months...SO MANY GREAT Phone Numbers will be gone plus maga data I cant afford to lose... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
LouWeegie
n00b

iOS Version: 3.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 9
Carrier: T-Mobile
excaliber< can you tell me exactlt how you were able to log into iphone with WinScp when it requires you to enter ip of iphone?
im new to winscp and from what I can tell...if your iphone isnt booting, there really isnt a way to tell what ip its grabing...
any help is greatly appreciated...
my issue was exactly like yours...3.1.2 updated cydia ...and looped...
ive got many months of of data not backed up...including a ton of hotties phone numbers...
HELP!!!!!!!!

Unread 09-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #15
ch.shaan
n00b

iOS Version: 5.1.1
im a new member on this site nd need a SERIOUS help. PLZ HELP ME!!!!! i jst installed the following tweaks from cydia (from sinfuliphone repo source) and after than my phone is rebooting again and again (screenshot of the pakages below).......i pressed the volume button while rebooting bt it didnt workd.....I also tried to remove these tweaks from /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and also from Var/stash/applications it didnt workd either.....I DONT WANT TO RESTORE...while in the rebooting mode my computer and ifunbox detect it for about 10 min so if u want me to make any changes i could
THAKIN IN ADVANCE

Tags
boot loop, recover, restore