You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > News > Front Page Important News

Notices

Front Page Important News Important News that appears on the Front Page of the forum
Only Admin & Mods can post in here

iOS 11.3 f/Battery Health Reporting Released - Jailbreakers Stay Away
Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
Heist

Device: iPhone 5S
iOS Version: 9.x
iTunes Version: iTunes 12
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thanked 1,438 Times in 706 Posts
iOS 11.3 f/Battery Health Reporting Released - Jailbreakers Stay Away

Apple releases iOS 11.3, the biggest update for iPhones since iOS 11 first launched
This is a big update, and Apple also released updates to tvOS and watchOS.

Apple released iOS 11.3 to all supported devices, including the iPad Air and later, the iPad mini 2 and later, the iPhone 5S and later, and the sixth-generation iPod touch. The update is available for download now in supported regions.

With several new features, it's arguably the biggest update to iOS since iOS 11 first released. iOS 11.3 addresses battery-based performance throttling on older devices, adds significant new capabilities for augmented reality, adds the ability to chat with customer support reps from companies in Messages, and lets users access their personal health records in the Health app.

Apple also released smaller updates for tvOS (tvOS 11.3) on the Apple TV and watchOS (watchOS 4.3)

There is now a section in the Settings app, nested under "Battery," called "Battery Health." If you visit this on a phone with a battery Apple deems healthy, it will simply serve up brief copy explaining some key concerns with iPhone batteries, along with a link to a webpage that goes into more detail. It will also show a value for "maximum capacity." This value is a percentage.

There's a section of this settings screen labeled "Peak Performance Capacity." If your phone has never experienced an unexpected shutdown due to low battery health, it will simply say: "Your battery is currently supporting normal peak performance." However, if your battery has dropped to a low-enough maximum capacity, you'll be shown this copy instead:

This iPhone has experienced an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power. Performance management has been applied to help prevent this from happening again.

Next to this, you'll see an option to disable the performance-management feature that has so irked iPhone owners. It also tells you that you can upgrade the battery to solve this problem completely:

Your battery's health is significantly degraded. An Apple Authorized Service Provider can replace the battery to restore full performance and capacity.

Notably, performance management is disabled until the phone first experiences an unexpected shutdown; it's not activated simply by a maximum capacity below a certain value, and you can't turn it on unless you've run into the problem.

The note about the Apple Authorized Service Provider is meant to address a consumer complaint that Apple was not transparent with users about the option to upgrade the battery—that complaint is key in the class-action lawsuits that have popped up in response to the performance management controversy that began last December when Reddit users and the dev behind benchmarking app Geekbench confirmed that iOS throttled performance on devices with underperforming batteries.

Apple does not offer this feature on iPads, but this update does add a new iPad feature called "charge management." The update notes say it "maintains battery health when iPad is connected to power for prolonged periods of time, such as when it is used in kiosks, point-of-sale systems, or stored in charging carts."

Other features and bug fixes in iOS 11.3

Those are the major features in iOS 11.3, but Apple added a few small things as well.

Software authentication of HomeKit-compatible devices increases the number of devices that can support HomeKit. Support for the Advanced Mobile Location (AML) standard gives emergency responders in supported countries more accurate location information when responding to an emergency call. A new "For You" section has been added to Apple News, offering more personalized selections, and you can now sort App Store reviews in new ways, including "most critical," "most favorable," "most recent," and "most helpful."
Further Reading
You’ll finally be able to approve family purchases with Face ID in iOS update

There are numerous bug fixes, addressing issues like failed incoming calls when waking the display, Mail messages reappearing in notifications after they've already been read, and parents' inability to use Face ID to approve purchase requests from their children on the iPhone X.
Apple’s privacy play

Apple has expanded its efforts to loop users in on when and how their personal data is being accessed or used by the company's apps and features. First off, it has added a new icon to represent user privacy that appears to notify users whenever Apple is doing something with their personal information.

Each instance of this comes with a brief explanation of what information is being accessed and why, with a small link to a more detailed page that goes into greater detail.

Business Chat

iOS 11.3 adds the ability to chat with representatives from participating companies directly in your Messages app. It's essentially a platform for text-message-based customer support.

The conversation can be triggered by tapping the Messages icon that appears in the Safari or Apple Maps apps, as well as in iOS searches. In the course of the conversation, you can use Apple Pay for transactions without leaving the app. If you need to set an appointment, a menu listing available times will swipe up from the bottom of the screen.

Apple claims no personally identifiable data is shared with the companies unless you share it yourself and that businesses cannot start conversations—users have to initiate.

The first participating companies include:

Apple
Discover
Hilton
The Home Depot
Lowe's
Marriott International
Newegg
Ameritrade
Wells Fargo
1-800-flowers.com

Like the Battery Health settings, Business Chat is listed as a beta feature.

Health Records

Apple's health-related efforts aren't always the most-touted developments by tech enthusiasts, but they've been a significant area of focus for the company lately. In iOS 11.3, Apple has added Health Records to the Health app. This feature allows you to connect to various health records networks in which your providers participate, and it collects all those records in one place, even though your providers might use completely different networks and systems.

ARKit 1.5

ARKit is Apple's augmented reality application programming interface. Apple introduced ARKit at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) last year. The framework handles some of the lower-level heavy lifting for augmented reality so developers can focus on customization of its experiences and on content.

Previously, ARKit could only accurately place objects on flat, horizontal planes, limiting the range of applications developers could make. With ARKit 1.5, developers can now place objects on vertical planes like walls, and accuracy is improved when mapping objects onto surfaces that aren't completely flat.
Further Reading
iOS 11.3 will be about more than just performance throttling options; AR is the focus

It also adds image-recognition capabilities. For example, an AR app could show a full-sized robot if a poster for an associated robot movie is seen by the phone's camera, or it could provide additional context in a museum when a certain painting is seen. Apple touts a "higher-resolution real-world camera view when using AR experiences," and auto-focus is now supported in AR views as well.

AR is a major focus for Apple this year; it has been the subject of many of the company's top executives' comments about their strategy and new initiatives, and many of the major additions and updates in the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X—all released late last year—were focused on laying the ground work for improved AR experiences, either with new sensors or improved performance.

Tim Cook has said he believes AR will be a watershed moment for the app store once AR developers find their stride. App intelligence firm Sensor Tower recently estimated that apps built on ARKit have been downloaded 13 million times since iOS 11's initial release. Half of those apps are games, but Pokémon Go and several other popular AR apps are not included in those numbers because, for all or some of the reported period, they were not built on ARKit.
New Animojis

This update also adds four new Animoji for the iPhone X: a skeleton, a lion, a dragon, and a bear—not to be confused with the existing panda bear Animoji. They're pictured below. These new Animoji don't add any new functionality; they're just new skins for the TrueDepth sensor-based, iPhone X-exclusive feature.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...irst-launched/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heist For This Useful Post:
bmalo4life (05-01-2018), hstar76 (03-30-2018), predator (03-31-2018), Rich00 (04-02-2018)

Old 04-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
observer365
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPhone X
iOS Version: 11.x
Carrier: Other
Thank you for the info.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
vestonind2
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 6
iOS Version: 8.1.x
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
not giving up my jailbreak for it. jailbroken 11.0.3 is just fine for me.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
joecef
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

Device: iPad Pro
iOS Version: 6.1.6
iTunes Version: iTunes 8
my girl updated to this yesterday and tonight her 6+S went black and had a red line on the screen then rebooted to apple logo and keeps rebooting. i tried to restore but at the first boot the apple logo shows and the line appears underneath then it reboots again..any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
A Cool Guy

Device: iPhone 7
Try reinstalling from dfu mode again.

If i can i will
If i cant i wont

Old 04-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Heist

Yet another reason to stay as far away from 11.3 has been uncovered.
Once again the sneaky engineers at Apple have inserted code to detect if your phone has been repaired by anyone but Apple, particularly the sceeen this time out, and if so, it will disable the touchscreen making your phone nye impossible to use.

Apple hates third party repairs and hates you for not paying their exhorbitant repair costs.

The New iOS Update Killed Touch Functionality on iPhone 8s Repaired With Aftermarket Screens - VICE

Old 04-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
miankhalid

Device: iPhone X
This is rediculouse what Apple are doing.
Totally controling our devices even after geting so much money for the sets
All Is Well That Ends Well !!!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
sendo4
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPhone 6S
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
usesless update

Old 04-14-2018, 01:06 AM   #9
carreabian
iPhoneaholic

iOS Version: 9.0
will never go into this, just stay away

Old 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
A Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Yet another reason to stay as far away from 11.3 has been uncovered.
Once again the sneaky engineers at Apple have inserted code to detect if your phone has been repaired by anyone but Apple, particularly the sceeen this time out, and if so, it will disable the touchscreen making your phone nye impossible to use.

Apple hates third party repairs and hates you for not paying their exhorbitant repair costs.

The New iOS Update Killed Touch Functionality on iPhone 8s Repaired With Aftermarket Screens - VICE
I had my iphone 6s screen replaced by a unofficial person and it works fine?

If i can i will
If i cant i wont

Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #11
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cool Guy View Post
I had my iphone 6s screen replaced by a unofficial person and it works fine?
The "feature" only seems to be affecting Iphone 8 and X.
Your 6S is 3 generations old. Apple doesn't care about hindering you anymore.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
A Cool Guy

Quote:
Oh ok.

If i can i will
If i cant i wont

Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
badassboy222
Jailbroken

Device: iPad Pro
Carrier: AT&T
They pushed it on my iPad Pro with out me approving it.
iPad Pro Electra 11.3

Old 04-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #14
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassboy222 View Post
They pushed it on my iPad Pro with out me approving it.
Preserve Your Jailbreakable iOS :: Block Aggressive OTA Forced Update - SiNfuL iPhone

Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
basehumax
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.1
worst update 11.3 regretted to update.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
theda
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 6+
iOS Version: 10.x
im liking the update, i even love the new WatchOS update....

Old 04-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
basehumax
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.1

Old 04-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
A Cool Guy

Quote:
Apparently ios 11.3.1 fixes this issue.

If i can i will
If i cant i wont

Old 04-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #19
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cool Guy View Post
Apparently ios 11.3.1 fixes this issue.
It also includes security patches. Jailbreakers stay away.

Upgrade or stay
Old 04-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
tourafri
Jailbroken

iOS Version: 10.x
Upgrade or stay

Currently on 11.2.6 , should i upgrade to 11.3 or stay ?