You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > News > Front Page Important News

Notices

Front Page Important News Important News that appears on the Front Page of the forum
Only Admin & Mods can post in here

SaurikIT- Speaks on New - Cydia and Electra (read it)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Mr.x
Lifer -SuperMod

Device: iPhone XS Max
iOS Version: 12.x
iTunes Version: iTunes 12
Carrier: Verizon
Thanked 6,096 Times in 2,454 Posts
SaurikIT- Speaks on New - Cydia and Electra (read it)

saurikSaurikIT

Interesting . This new build of apt7-lib, btw, is for people running official releases of Cydia on iOS 2.0-10.3, and fixes--for users of iOS 5.0 and above (as earlier versions fundamentally did not have the underlying software support)--the TLS 1.2 issues people have been running into, thanks to some very appreciative help from thekirbylover (who figured out that the reason none of my previous attempts to fix this ever worked was because Apple had a "quirks mode" check in their code to see which version of the compiler you were using to compile your executable: they essentially do this really weird and annoying thing that is reminiscent of Internet Explorer "DOCTYPE sniffing", which I have so far never seen improve compatibility: it always just breaks things... I really wish I knew where it helped :/). He contacted me earlier this evening, and I stayed up super late to get this long-overdue fix out the door. apt7-lib 0.7.25.3-14 and 0.7.25.3-15 are literally different by only three bytes, something I carefully verified before I pushed this update, as these three bytes essentially can't break any users of my existing 0.7.25.3-14 package.

FWIW, people using Electra are essentially using a fork of everything I've ever done that was put together by coolstar with no thought to how it would affect anything else I'm working on or will be releasing, either in the near future or in the distant future; so, if you have installed Electra, I would strongly recommend never installing any of the packages I push going forward: I have done no testing with Electra nor do I have any interest at all in spending time I don't really have to try to figure out how to maintain compatibility with Electra. I mean, I didn't even realize how insanely forked he was until I was told to check out this post by Optimo: this is kind of egregious, as he decided to release a package with the same name as one of mine and he even gave it the version number I would use for my next update?! If he is going to be trying to play the game "my packages are a fundamental upgrade to saurik's packages and will replace them going forward" he should have at least bumped the version epoch, not just bumped the maintainer version (the final part after the hyphen), and I can imagine even more drastic things that might have been even better solutions (maybe involving pinning, maybe involving architectures... there is a lot of nuance).

To put this in some kind of context, there are a bunch of updates that will be coming from me, probably in the relatively near future (I was sick for a number of weeks, which kept me from being able to make as much progress as I'd have liked, and then had a serious and unexpected issue with vnode limitations as I was stressing Substrate way too much and have been having to fix what I realized is actually a long-standing resource issue in Substrate--which may have also caused some of the "return of the vnode limit" issues in WinterBoard from a couple years ago that were reported by angelXwind--to pull it all off, but I think I have something that doesn't make me entirely sad). The new version of Cydia I'm going to be pushing will probably not work without the new version of Substrate, and I'm pretty sure the new version of Substrate I'm going to be pushing will not work on Electra (it definitely doesn't work on LiberiOS, which is a "vaguely supported upgrade path"; it is possible it will sort of "half" work on Electra, and there's one design option which might allow it to sort of work, but I've been leaning towards two other ways of doing it that I already have working, one of which simply could not ever function correctly on Electra and the other one which simply is assuming a bootstrap process that is based on the Cydia jailbreak instead of on Electra).

It is also possible that the upgrade path for Substrate--which I think will have to do a minor migration for existing users, though there is one way I might decide to randomly avoid this, though that's "just a theory" and so might not even work: I'm unlikely to delay very long to look into it--will totally break your Electra setup. Though, this is entirely based on a guess of what he is doing; for all I know it will be harmless, or do literally nothing, if you try to install the new Substrate on a device that is running Electra. Again: I have absolutely no interest in wasting some incredible amount of my life trying to track whatever it is that coolstar thinks is a good idea and figuring out how to not somehow conflict with packages that coolstar has pushed that are upgrades to my own packages and apparently have conflicting version numbers :/. If people are interested in using my packages on Electra, they should be extremely careful and maybe rely on community testing processes.

(I mean, even if I did care, I don't have spare iPhones on which I can be running his software and doing risky tests to figure out how to deal with migration conflicts, especially since they look like they are going to be weird back-and-forth style issues due to the package fork overlap of not just my package names but of my version numbers. I actually only have one iPhone running iOS 11. It was running LiberiOS before, and it is running my setup now, a setup which it is worth noting has thereby been bootstrapped as a mild upgrade to LiberiOS, which itself is a totally non-invasive jailbreak due to how Jonathan Levin thinks about this kind of stuff. I don't have stacks of devices running iOS 11 for a number of reasons . If you are running Electra, you should not be trying to use Cydia and some mix-and-match of my packages, period. For people who don't remember, having to try to track random insanity done by people like coolstar for the iOS 8 and iOS 9 jailbreak cycles was an incredibly demoralizing experience, and no matter how much people beg me to try to bother or care I am just never going to do that ever again. Regardless, this is sufficiently "not my issue" that I'm just going to sleep. Good luck!)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.x For This Useful Post:
AnG (03-18-2018), BrassHammer (03-04-2018), DarkbyDesign (02-27-2018), kinghuff (03-04-2018), kukuruku (05-27-2018)

Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
rontorbay
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPad Mini 2
iOS Version: 9.x
Carrier: o2
WOW! that almost negates the value of jailbreaking using "Electra"

Old 02-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Mr.x
Lifer -SuperMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontorbay View Post
WOW! that almost negates the value of jailbreaking using "Electra"
And at the pace he moves it could be 2019 before anything is out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.x For This Useful Post:
andersniet (02-27-2018)

Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
mikelcool
n00b

Device: iPod Touch 3
iOS Version: 5.1.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: Other
So what is now the essence of jail breaking then

Old 02-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
firstcherokeekid
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

Device: iPhone 7+
iOS Version: 11.x
SMH....so sad

Old 02-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
c t e

Device: iPhone 6
iOS Version: 9.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Wow. That is crazy. Hopefully there will be some kind of Cydia/jailbrake amalgamation or alternative solution in the future.
iPhone 6 - 9.0.2 jb
iPad mini 4 - 9.0.2 jb
Apple TV 4 - 10.2.2 jb
iPad Pro 10.5 - 11.3.1 jb
iPhone 8 - 11.3.1 jb

Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
requiem
Pro n00b

Device: iPod Touch
iOS Version: 3.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 7
Thanked 1,200 Times in 564 Posts
SMH. And the drama continues. What an a-hole. Where is saurik when we needed him most? He never update the jailbreak community about the status of his shit so others step up to the challenge. Greed, pride and arrogance is with this guy.

Bring it on coolstar & team.

Edit:
From CoolStar
Note: While the issue today is something that obviously collaboration with saurik would’ve avoided, my attempts at reaching saurik back in December got turned down as he stated he wanted to working with someone else, and didn’t sound interested at all in working together

More from CoolStar here.

Last edited by requiem; 02-27-2018 at 11:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to requiem For This Useful Post:
Atheer88 (02-27-2018)

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
ddub420

Device: iPhone 6S +
Thanked 2,929 Times in 928 Posts
This is why @coolstar created a way to take an APFS snapshot of the filesystem when you run Electra 1.0 or higher on first launch. This is the same idea as a Time Machine backup on MacOS. You can SemiRestore back to the way your iDevice was before you became Jailbroken with the Electra 1.0/1.0.1 version. Everyone has to be careful what tweaks they install. Alot of things arent compatible with iOS 11. This doesn't protect you from bootloops.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Atheer88
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 6
iOS Version: 8.1.x
Am i the only one who thinks this is Just A DRAMA.. i mean this is not just about them .. they are playing on the public’s mind ..what is that , i feel like we’re dealing with kids ..

Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
mskitty
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone X
Carrier: AT&T
Wow!

Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
ddub420

Old 02-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
Mr.x
Lifer -SuperMod

i can personally Say i have JB both my IPX and Ipad 5 on Electra IOS 11.1.2 Iphone with like 15 items and not one issue. all is smooth so far. Personally if Saurik didn't want to be upstaged by Coolstar he shouldn't be taking 4 months to do updates.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.x For This Useful Post:
andersniet (02-27-2018), BrassHammer (03-04-2018), DarkbyDesign (02-27-2018), Mr_Bubbles (02-27-2018)

Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
DarkbyDesign
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPhone 5S
Carrier: T-Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.x View Post
i can personally Say i have JB both my IPX and Ipad 5 on Electra IOS 11.1.2 Iphone with like 15 items and not one issue. all is smooth so far. Personally if Saurik didn't want to be upstaged by Coolstar he shouldn't be taking 4 months to do updates.
Was holding off just a few minutes longgggger. Itching to run the new JB. Is it worth it?

This post makes me 99.9999% sure!!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
ddub420

Quote:
Whenever Saurik does eventually update and release something usable we can use SemiRestore for iOS 11 (not released yet) to revert back to stock. Then jailbreak with Saurik's version if wanted.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
Mr.x
Lifer -SuperMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddub420 View Post
[SIZE="4"]Whenever Saurik does eventually update and release something usable we can use SemiRestore for iOS 11 (not released yet) to revert back to stock. Then jailbreak with Saurik's version if wanted.
And the rate he moves and has a salty dislike for alot of the JB younger Guys it may be 6 more months i say if you can enjoy a JB now safely and with little heart palps go for it.
Coolstar seems to say and do what he says.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #16
ddub420

Quote:
And the rate he moves and has a salty dislike for alot of the JB younger Guys it may be 6 more months i say if you can enjoy a JB now safely and with little heart palps go for it.
Coolstar seems to say and do what he says.
If anything now that we are going to have a SemiRestore APFS snapshot option, Saurik can take all the time he wants to finish his Jailbreak. Electra and the option to SemiRestore ill take over waiting for Saurik on stock iOS and losing the ability to use my blobs to restore to iOS 11.1.2 fresh for Jailbreak. Its rumored that iOS 11.3 closes the SEP window for restoring with blobs causing an error in futurerestore. The error causes you to restore to the latest signed iOS version. iOS 11.3 release might be soon.

Last edited by ddub420; 03-10-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
requiem
Pro n00b

Device: iPod Touch
iOS Version: 3.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 7
Thanked 1,200 Times in 564 Posts
Now saurik is eagerly wants to update his thing & possibly create his own jailbreak tool because of coolstar's release. What a bunch of crap saurik is. Great job coolstar.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #18
djdarkxd
A Flail Of God

Saurik wants the Spotlight back....

Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #19
bojinx
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 6+
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: AT&T
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdarkxd View Post
Saurik wants the Spotlight back....
You can say that again.....

Old 03-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #20
firstcherokeekid

Device: iPhone 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Now saurik is eagerly wants to update his thing & possibly create his own jailbreak tool because of coolstar's release. What a bunch of crap saurik is. Great job coolstar.
Requiem, you always crack me up with you blunt honest comments.