You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > News > News > General News

Notices

Saurik closes Cydia Store and tells users to remove any stored PayPal info from their Cydia account
Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
Tornado1
Super Moderator

Device: iPhone 6+
iOS Version: 11.x
iTunes Version: iTunes 12
Carrier: Other
Saurik closes Cydia Store and tells users to remove any stored PayPal info from their Cydia account

IMPORTANT - Cydia developer Saurik has shut the Cydia Store down and has advised everyone to remove/delete their PayPal info from their Cydia account effective immediately:

“Unless you are logged in and using Cydia while also browsing a repository with untrusted content (which, FWIW, is difficult to not do with Cydia <- I do appreciate this sad fact about the ecosystem: it was never clear to users that they should be careful installing random repositories), this is "not an issue". As you would only ever be logged in to Cydia in order to actively buy something or download a paid purchase (Cydia, very much on purpose as a security feature of the software--something I took flak for constantly over years as people wanted it to be "easier"--does not cache login tokens when you close the app) and effectively no one is buying anything anymore (for multiple, even numerous!, reasons, with the result that no one is logged on), this issue affects very few users despite being worded in a very vague way to, I would assume purposefully, cause maximal chaos and carnage, leading to questions that go so far as "how do I do this without being jailbroken". If you are not jailbroken, you definitely should have no concern about this.

In particular, this vulnerability is not a data leak (as some people are wondering, and given the vague complaint from Nullpixel is a perfectly valid thing to be thinking: one would presume that I somehow lost access to PayPal authorization tokens allowing someone else to take money from your PayPal account: this categorically is not the issue at hand today), and there is definitely no need to go out of your way to disable tokens if you are not actually using Cydia anymore: it is "only" (in quotes as this is still a serious issue... if this were actually a product still being used by anyone ;P) the ability to force a purchase by a user who is currently logged in to Cydia; there is no concern about the information in your Cydia account that I know of at this time. (A more reasonable and much less confusing mitigation that would have been less confusing would have been to tell people to log out of Cydia if they were currently using it and to not log back in, maybe ever ;P.)

The reality is that I wanted to just shut down the Cydia Store entirely before the end of the year, and was considering moving the timetable up after receiving the report (to this weekend); this service loses me money and is not something I have any passion to maintain: it was a critical component of a healthy ecosystem, and for a while it helped fund a small staff of people to maintain the ecosystem, but it came at great cost to my sanity and led lots of people to irrationally hate me due to what amounted to a purposeful misunderstanding of how profit vs. revenue works. (That said, shutting this down doesn't actually mitigate the majority of my costs right now, which involve many terabytes of bandwidth per month continuing to be spent on hosting the archived repositories I took on as my responsibility; I am thankfully currently making enough money from my new job to cover these costs.)

However, given the push from Nullpixel and Andy Wiik to do something about it this morning, I've had to reconsider my timelines; I have thereby gone ahead and shut down the ability to buy things in Cydia, effective immediately. I will put together a more formal post about the arc of Cydia, likely to be published next week.”

Discussion with FAQ’s here:
Code:
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/12/16/cydia-store-shut-down-faq/

Last edited by Tornado1; 12-16-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: updated link

Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Jarviss
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

iOS Version: 9.0
Thanks for the info. Very hard to read though with multiple (bracketed content that seem to go on for a very long time before eventually closing and you try to remember the flow of the initial sentence before the brackets started ) 😂

Old 12-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Tornado1
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarviss View Post
Thanks for the info. Very hard to read though with multiple (bracketed content that seem to go on for a very long time before eventually closing and you try to remember the flow of the initial sentence before the brackets started ) 😂
I hear ya but the condensed/interpreted version is that a data leak didn’t occur and that it’s something saurik has been planning to do anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to Tornado1 For This Useful Post:
Jarviss (12-15-2018)

Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
stlmac08

Device: iPad 2
iOS Version: 6.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: T-Mobile
Will we be able to install tweaks we already purchased on new devices using Cydia? Will we be able to update tweaks we already purchased on existing devices using Cydia?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
miankhalid

Device: iPhone XS Max
iOS Version: 12.x
Sad news
All Is Well That Ends Well !!!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Carboncopy
I Changed This

Device: iPhone 6S
iOS Version: 9.x
Carrier: AT&T
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmac08 View Post
Will we be able to install tweaks we already purchased on new devices using Cydia? Will we be able to update tweaks we already purchased on existing devices using Cydia?
Yes you can still install paid packages from Cydia and update them.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Heist

Device: iPhone 5S
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thanked 1,447 Times in 709 Posts
FWIW, I'm fine with this. It seemed like he grew increasingly disinterested in Cydia and more interested in Android support. Complained about the time it takes to run Cydia for free and the time it takes away from his other interest.

I always said he should have slightly monitized the platform. $5 would have been an acceptable payment for access to Cydia.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heist For This Useful Post:
antonimalino (12-15-2018)

Old 12-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Tornado1
Super Moderator

Discussion link updated to provide more info

Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Goddimus
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Wow, will be somewhat different now.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
BrassHammer

Will this end Cydia all together and what would replace it ?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
Carboncopy
I Changed This

Lol. Sileo is attempting but other repos are stepping up in Cydia to replace Bigboss and Modmyi.
Until we actually see and have a full blown replacement Cydia is still being worked on. Just no purchases through Cydia itself.