You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > News > Front Page Important News

Notices

Front Page Important News Important News that appears on the Front Page of the forum
Only Admin & Mods can post in here

Rumor Confirmed!:: Apple Has Intentionally Throttled Performance of Older Devices to Force Upgrade
Old 12-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
Heist

Device: iPhone 5S
iOS Version: 9.x
iTunes Version: iTunes 12
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thanked 1,407 Times in 699 Posts
Rumor Confirmed!:: Apple Has Intentionally Throttled Performance of Older Devices to Force Upgrade

The empirical testing data is in and it's undeniable. Apple, has intentionally been throttling the performance of its older devices but it is not using the age or generation of the device, rather iOS battery intelligence in the software is looking at the battery's cycle count and life and then giving throttling direction to the CPU to hobble its performance. Obviously most older devices will have higher cycle counts and batteries that have used up more of its life - but the key here is that your device's processor or age had no correlation to diminished iOS performance.

Owner who believed their iPhone / Ipad components were burning out, running out of memory, or needed a new phone with the latest processor to optimally run the new iOS would go out and purchase a new phone instead of replacing the battery, which of course is much less costly. Of course the Apple Geniuses who probably knew exactly why you phone was running like a slug after a year or so would never tell you to buy a new battery - rather they would say, "Buy a bigger iCloud account and off load some memory from the device." or "Oh, you just need a new device."

Apple expects most user to replace their device every 2-3 years. A battery replacement could theoretically extend the usable life of most devices to the 5-6 year range with ease and ruin Apple projected replacement model.

Very very sneaky, [Cr]Apple. Actually quite troublesome that Apple would not let owners know this is the source of their degraded performance and induce them to buy a new phone instead of new battery.

Worse, it appears Apple is coding the breakover point where the throttling begins to occur earlier in new iterations of iOS 11!
See the chart below with the 7 on iOS 11.2!

Time to fess up and come clean about this and put it in your release notes! No marketing spin with a professional writer about how this was for your safety and enjoyment. No BS copy about we didn't know. Just be honest; you established this scheme and refused to acknowledge the years of complaints about slowing performance from older iPhones owners, happy to let the think it was the OS, when in fact you knew it was the OS itself telling the CPU to neuter performance and all the owner had to do was replace the battery. Shame

===========================================

https://www.geekbench.com/blog/2017/...d-battery-age/

The distribution of iPhone 6s scores for iOS 10.2.0 appears unimodal with a peak around the average score. However, the distribution of iPhone 6s scores for iOS 10.2.1 appears multimodal, with one large peak around the average and several smaller peaks around lower scores. Under iOS 11.2.0 the effect is even more pronounced.

The distribution of iPhone 7 scores under iOS 10.2.0, iOS 10.2.1, and iOS 11.1.2 appears identical. However, the distribution changes with iOS 11.2.0 and starts to look like the iPhone 6s distribution from 10.2.1.

Performance and Battery Age

So what’s going on here?

First, it appears the problem is widespread, and will only get worse as phones (and their batteries) continue to age. See, for example, the difference between the distribution of iPhone 6s scores between 10.2.1 and 11.2.0.

Second, the problem is due, in part, to a change in iOS. The difference between 10.2.0 and 10.2.1 is too abrupt to be just a function of battery condition. I believe (as do others) that Apple introduced a change to limit performance when battery condition decreases past a certain point. Why did Apple do this? kadupse on Reddit offers the following explanation:

Many iPhone 6s devices were shutting down unexpectedly, even after the battery replacement program (Which many people weren’t entitled to use). Because degraded batteries last much less and end up with a lower voltage Apple’s solution was to scale down CPU performance, it doesn’t solve anything and is a bad experience… but it’s better than having your device shutdown at 40% when you need it the most.

Heist note: I can attest to this. Although I was using an older Iphone 5S, in late September my phone's performance lagged most times - almost like it was perpetually in Low Power mode even when at 60-70% indicated charge. Or, it would experience random shutdowns while in the middle of a processor intensive operation (Snapchat for instance) although the meter said I had 35-40% battery life remaining. It would show no power if I tried to reboot. When I would plug the phone in, the second it would lite-up it would read 25-30% battery life?!

Users expect either full performance, or reduced performance with a notification that their phone is in low-power mode.
This fix creates a third, unexpected state.
While this state is created to mask a deficiency in battery power, users may believe that the slow down is due to CPU performance, instead of battery performance, which is triggering an Apple introduced CPU slow-down. This fix will also cause users to think, “my phone is slow so I should replace it” not, “my phone is slow so I should replace its battery”.

Last edited by Heist; 12-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heist For This Useful Post:
AnG (12-19-2017), philsta (12-19-2017), predator (12-19-2017), Radeon30 (12-20-2017), Rats and Gods (12-27-2017)

Old 12-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
philsta
Iphonaholic

Device: iPhone 7+
iOS Version: 10.x
I knew it! These devils I tell you. Very clever I must say. Nice share
Please hit the button if I helped!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
That bloke
OVO

Device: iPhone 7
iOS Version: 11.x
Carrier: Other
You know class action lawsuits are coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to That bloke For This Useful Post:
Heist (12-19-2017)

Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by That bloke View Post
You know class action lawsuits are coming.
I wouldn’t necessarily have issue with them had they provided clear informed consent as to how Apple will downgrade the device’s performance after your battery reaches a certain cycle count until you replace your battery.

And they have to specify and document what that battery level boundary is.

But to do something sneaky like this and trick consumers (or allow the belief to persist) that continued performance is linked to a new device and not a new battery, yes, they absolutely need to be brought to task.
Especially since they make it nearly impossible to user replace the battery.

Now the sealed battery strategy makes even more sense.

---------- EDIT ----------

Apple and its engineers are not going to be able to quiet ignore the growing controversy. It just hit CNBC ( a major financial TV new network here in America).

Plus people are posting validated benchmark results. A few points of variance is not big deal, but nearly 1000 delta on the multicore and 500 is a remarkable difference. This is like having a totally different processor in your device. Like swapping out an A9 for an A7.

Wear level was somewhere around 20% on my old battery. I did a Geekbench score, and found I was getting 1466 Single and 2512 Multi. This did not change wether I had low power mode on or off. After changing my battery, I did another test to check if it was just a placebo.
Nope. 2526 Single and 4456 Multi.

Two weeks ago Wandera, a business phone maintenance company, found that iPhones using the brand new iOS 11 took 96 minutes to empty from 100 percent charge and that those on iOS 10 took much longer, at 240 minutes.
From what I can tell, Apple slows down phones when their battery gets too low.

It takes courage to save millions in service costs by denying a systemic problem, then covering up the problem by slowing down users' phones without telling them. Nicely done, Apple.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
devitouch
MultiCam Dialer v2.0

iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsta View Post
I knew it! These devils I tell you. Very clever I must say. Nice share
I knew they were doing this all along. Just my personal theory. These devils are pushing me in the direction to go droid, and join the google evil empire. But at least they always have a root available for every phone and each version of their operating system.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
alexsas
Jailbroken

Device: iPad
iOS Version: 4.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
need to upgrade and update

Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
dfaultuser
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPhone 5
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
This is interesting but not surprising. I’m sure there will be a class action suit in the near future.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
firstcherokeekid
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

I have an Iphone 7+, my scores were:
Single - 3499
Multicore - 6009

Does anyone know how that compares?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
BrassHammer

Device: iPhone 6S
Carrier: AT&T
They do this to all iOS Devices ....

Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
mrbob2
SinfuliPhoneHelper

Device: iPhone SE
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts
its funny because when i first got my iphone 6 in 2014 it was rapid.

now on ios11 it was slow as pig shit. Everything took ages to load, even messages. Doing a battery test app showed 40% wear level.

i was going to downgrade it to 11.1.2 (or whatever was still being signed last week) and the thing wouldnt turn on. totally dead (it was a spare phone and had been left untouched for 2 weeks)

i read this post and thought it was kinda ironic apple thought fuck it lets just kill his phone lol

ironically i have replaced it with an iphon8 256gb as my spare phone.

as it was second hand apple doesnt get a penny. fuck em.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
firstcherokeekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
its funny because when i first got my iphone 6 in 2014 it was rapid.

now on ios11 it was slow as pig shit. Everything took ages to load, even messages. Doing a battery test app showed 40% wear level.

i was going to downgrade it to 11.1.2 (or whatever was still being signed last week) and the thing wouldnt turn on. totally dead (it was a spare phone and had been left untouched for 2 weeks)

i read this post and thought it was kinda ironic apple thought fuck it lets just kill his phone lol

ironically i have replaced it with an iphon8 256gb as my spare phone.

as it was second hand apple doesnt get a penny. fuck em.
What battery app did you use?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcherokeekid View Post
I have an Iphone 7+, my scores were:
Single - 3499
Multicore - 6009

Does anyone know how that compares?
A 7Plus is probably just a bit too new (or hasn't had enough battery cycle counts) to be effected yet, but note these scores. Write them down somewhere, then retry your test when iOS 12 is released or 12 months from now. Whichever comes first.

iOS11 has easily been one of Apple's most rushed and worse releases. In 3 months we've already seen 7-8 updates!

Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
firstcherokeekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
A 7Plus is probably just a bit too new (or hasn't had enough battery cycle counts) to be effected yet, but note these scores. Write them down somewhere, then retry your test when iOS 12 is released or 12 months from now. Whichever comes first.

iOS11 has easily been one of Apple's most rushed and worse releases. In 3 months we've already seen 7-8 updates!

Will do!

Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassHammer View Post
They do this to all iOS Devices ....
Not exactly. Throttling performance based on the current battery energy level has been accepted and understood as a means of balancing performance with remaining battery life.
The software engineers will typical design in some sort of notice or icon letting the user know that the computer / device / etc. is going into its power efficiency mode - and most times the designers also provide a way to override this.

But this, this is something completely different, not standard practice, and far more nefarious and frankly, skuzz ball act.

First there's no documentation of the "feature" which demonstrates to me Apple was perfectly fine with allowing users to believe their device was outmodded.
The mental conditioning they allowed to profligate was:
"my phone is slow so I should replace it”
not,
“my phone is slow so I should replace its battery”.

There's an expansive difference in those statements both in resolution and in true consumer cost. A high quality replacement iPhone battery is $30 US. A replacement iPhone is $700

No device I have ever owned has began intentionally, per-empetively throttled down its performance because it saw the battery was too old to hold constant voltage and manage load to ensure optimal performance.

If that's the case, then a little notification pop-up should appear with the statement to replace the battery to ensure optimal performance.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
The_Goz
The Destructor

Device: iPhone 6
iOS Version: 8.4.x
Hmmm... So if you stay on lower iOS versions, your phone should perform better, right?

I'm still on 8.4.4, phone doesn't seem to be getting much slower.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #16
richie107
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 6+
iOS Version: 8.4
Carrier: AT&T
I noticed a drop in performance when I went from IOS9 to IOS10 now with IOS11 its really laggy.. especially when scrolling using the weather channel app..

Im running a 6+ IOS 11.2 and its really getting to the point that it needs to be restored back to the way it was in IOS 9 or else I will be jumping ship to android also...Shame after 10 years with Apple since 3G model..

Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
Heist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goz View Post
Hmmm... So if you stay on lower iOS versions, your phone should perform better, right?

I'm still on 8.4.4, phone doesn't seem to be getting much slower.
Hard to say. They've only been able to test iOS 10 > 11 at the moment.

Probably no test units with iOS 8 or 9 installed to test with.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #18
Heist

Apple released a public statement confirming that the reports are true.
Apple admits slowing older iPhones because of aging batteries | Technology | The Guardian

Thu 21 Dec ‘17 05.36 EST
Apple says it was forced to introduce a software fix to prevent phones from being damaged as the batteries fail to provide enough power.

After years of rumours, Apple has confirmed that it does indeed slow down older iPhones, a feature introduced last year to protect against problems caused by ageing batteries.

The feature was implemented on the iPhone 6, 6S and SE last year during a software update, and on the iPhone 7 as of December with the release of iOS 11.2. The feature is planned to be rolled out to newer devices in the future.

Apple said it slowed down phones that have older batteries, batteries with low charge or that are cold.

An Apple spokesperson said: “Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices.”

The company explained that when a battery is in a poor condition it may not be able to supply the required maximum current demanded by the phone’s processor at full speed. If that happens, the iPhone can shut down unexpectedly to protect the internal components.

It was one of the factors contributing to users finding that their iPhone 6S would turn off abruptly, even though there was about 30-40% charge remaining in the battery.

“Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6S and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions,” said an Apple spokesperson. “We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.”

Apple insists that this slowdown feature is not an example of planned obsolescence, and instead is designed to protect against battery problems and prolong the life of iPhones.
But the poor communication to users of the fact that Apple considers this a feature, not a bug, has caused many to lash out at the company.

Users expect either full performance, or reduced performance with a notification that their phone is in low-power mode. This fix creates a third, unexpected state.

While this state is created to mask a deficiency in battery power, users may believe that the slowdown is due to CPU performance, instead of battery performance, which is triggering an Apple-introduced CPU slowdown.

————————————
I have a friend who has a large presence on social media and has to use her phone for live streams, pictures, singing and recordings several hours a day. This obviously put a heavy duty cycle on the battery of her 6S Plus. She began complaining last month of majorly degraded performance - the camera would take 4-6 seconds to boot up. Instalive, Safari browsing. All laggy and slow as a dog. I said it was probably because her phone’s memory was stuffed.

Out of frustration she bought a new 256mb 8 Plus for $900.
All she needed to do was spend $80 to have Apple.
Replace the battery.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #19
That bloke
OVO

Device: iPhone 7
As predicted. When did 7s come out?

First Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Apple Over iPhone Slowdown - iClarified

Old 12-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #20
RN95
iPhoneaholic

Device: iPhone 6S
Carrier: Vodafone
What a bunch of ....