You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > Discussion | Help > Off-Topic General Discussion

Notices

Off-Topic General Discussion NO iDEVICE HELP QUESTIONS IN HERE!

Illegal To Sell Jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch?
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
VinnieCent
n00b

Illegal To Sell Jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch?

Howdy.
I've done a bit of research out and about the place, and established that jailbreaking isn't illegal.
But, do you think it is illegal, or a potential to be reported, if you sold a jailbroken device on eBay, with everything on there, such as Install0us with lots of cracked apps?
This would obviously boost the sale price, so it would be interesting to see.

Anyone have any any experience or idea with that?

Unread 04-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Noxx187
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 6.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: AT&T
im 100% sure that posting it with the Cracked app's is illegal. Not sure about just JB with Cydia and apps that can be DLing from there... But i have seen JB iphones with cracked apps on ebay so who knows..

Unread 04-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
VinnieCent
n00b

I bought mine off eBay and it was jailbroken with just Cydia on there, and there weren't hassles with that. I think that having cracked apps through Install0us would be illegal, but maybe I could just say that I will inform them how to do it?

Unread 04-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
TuanPAC
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: Other
I don't think you should be saying anything. There is enough information on the Internet for them to find out themselves.

Unread 04-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
haitham1973
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: Other
I think it actually depends on your country of residence, and in the united states it might depend on the state, but that's only where jail breaking is concerned, as far as the installed apps it plain and simple falls under software piracy, that would be the equivalent of selling a PC and installing windows and a bunch of apps on it without proper license.

Also I had heard that Apple added something about that into the license agreement that you have to agree to before using their product, but i have to admit I never bothered reading it, since it wont change my mind about jail breaking my iphone, but then again I'm not announcing it to the world by profiting from it and raising the value of something I'm trying to sell. Honestly jailbreaking the iphone is not rocket science with the tools available now. I would sell it with a stock install and offer the auction winner privately to do these things for them.

I worked in network security in the past, so I'm a bit more paranoid than your average user. So please don't take offense to the following statement: but whoever is buying the phone does not know you and would not have a reason to trust you, as such they might be concerned that you have installed malicious software in the phone
PLEASE HIT THANKS IF I'VE HELPED