You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > Discussion | Help > How-To: Guides / Tutorials > Misc

Notices

Misc Guides that are NOT device specific OR are related to all devices in general.

How to Use an iPhone Without the Data Plan
Unread 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
jima6636
Obsessive iPhone Disorder

Device: iPhone 5
iOS Version: 6.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: AT&T
Thanked 3,357 Times in 556 Posts
Icon4 How to Use an iPhone Without the Data Plan

Lets me say I have not tried this and have no clue if it even works But thought would post it to see if anyone wanted to give it a shot ...I am Not responsible for anything that may happen if you try this...it was brought to my attention on twitter and wanted some feedback on what you guys think

Quote:
After playing with my kids iTouch’s it became clear to me how much the iTouch is lacking in functionality. Before buying one I considered it just an iPhone without the ability to make calls. The lack of camera was the biggest surprise, because I can’t figure out why they left it out. The GPS and Camera would have been really nice to have even if I can’t use it as a phone.

So would it still be better to buy an iPhone and use it just like an iTouch but with camera and GPS? I found a
thread on one of the iPhone forums where a guy, who was going to college and couldn’t afford the $30.00 a month data plan, but wanted an iPhone anyway. He was on campus where they had a robust wifi connection all of the time and didn’t really need the data plan. He already had an AT&T cell phone (a Razor), and just wanted to get a used iPhone and put his SIM card into it.

After giving the guy a hard time, a good samaritan responded with a way to do just that. He pointed out a cool service offered by unlockit. It is an APN Changer for 3G iPhones. It lets you turn off the Edge and 3G data service on your iPhone. This lets you use an AT&T SIM card with your iPhone but lets you use it without adding the iPhone data plan.

To use this service do the following:

1. Put the AT&T Sim card in the already activated iPhone.
2. Make a wifi connection to a local wifi source.
3. Navigate to this page. Click “Continue To The Next Page”.
4. Click Disable Data (Fake APN). The Install Profile window appears.
5. Click Install. Another Install Profile window will popup warning you that authenticity of this profile cannot be verified. Click Install on this window too.
6. You should now see a message stating “Could not activate Cellular Data Network; You are not subscribed to a cellular data service.

You should now be able to make phone calls and be able to use wifi to access the internet. When you aren’t connected, you should get an error.

To remove the 3G/Edge block, simply go to your Network settings and removed the Fake APN profile.
Original Post

Unread 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
rockstar

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 5.0.1
Thanked 7,918 Times in 1,810 Posts
or u could use data blocker from cydia. That works just fine.
*****Hit the THANKS button if I helped*****

Unread 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
jima6636

iOS Version: 6.1.2
Thanked 3,357 Times in 556 Posts
ehhh I gotta data I was just curious on if this works or if anyone seen it before

Unread 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
skibowlruler
iPhoneaholic

iOS Version: 5.0
i use data blocker on my old fon for my kid.. plus i have smart limits set at zero for data consumption... it shows her fon as a 3g on the att website and theyve never sed anything about it

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Kulawend
Jailbroken

Device: iPad 4
iTunes Version: iTunes 7
Carrier: Vodafone
*snip*

Last edited by Kulawend; 12-13-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Unread 06-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
rockstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulawend View Post
This is not needed in iOS4.
Just go into Settings -> General -> Network and use the Cellular Data option to turn it off or on.
yo mate, u can do that in the older firmwares too. The way suggested in this post is to be on the safe side, buy putting in different values so the phone so to speak, doesnt connect to att network for internet connection. Lets just say it throws it off its path.

Unread 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Bnkuder
n00b

I have been using an ipod touch and a samsung eternity on att for a long time now and really wanted to only have to carry around one device. I saw this post recently and thought I would give this a shot. Bought a iphone 3g 16gb running 3.1.2/jailbroken and unlocked. I Installed Fake APN, Data blocker, and ran unlockitz. Under data usage in settings, no data ever was used.

This worked "like a charm" ...for 2 days. Then at&t sent me a text that I had to have a data plan since I was using an iphone (although no data usage) and auto signed me up..

Anyone else have this problem or any work around? I think it has to do with anonymous data sent to at&t and the imei... but from what I read that is not easy to change...

Unread 07-15-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
That
n00b

Device: iPod Touch 4
iOS Version: 4.2
Carrier: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnkuder View Post
This worked "like a charm" ...for 2 days. Then at&t sent me a text that I had to have a data plan since I was using an iphone (although no data usage) and auto signed me up..

Anyone else have this problem or any work around? I think it has to do with anonymous data sent to at&t and the imei... but from what I read that is not easy to change...
worked for me for 6 months before at&t hunted my ass down. not im stuck paying
Got a question? PM me

stuff:
iPod Touch 4G on 4.2.1 (8C148), jailbroken with Greenpois0n
iPhone 3G running Android Gingerbread :P

Happy to say all of my iOS apps are legitimately paid for
The Following User Says Thank You to That For This Useful Post:
Tye (03-22-2014)

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
aptalent
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 4.3
Carrier: T-Mobile
There's really no work around to disabling the dataplan.

I went to an AT&T store and explained my problem to a rep. and he said he could let it slide but that the chances of it getting picked up as a smartphone were high.

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Commander_Cain
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 3G
Well when i had my 2g iPhone i payed the normal $15 unlimited media net plan. So you best bet to use a iPhone without data just get a 2g, altho there is no gps att seems to have issues picking them up.

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
daianz

iOS Version: 4.0.1
doesn't work! ATT rendomly scan IMEI for smartphone and add data plan automatically to your account. unless you find a way to change imei. all iphone 3g or above can avoid it.
Hit Thanks if it help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
rockstar

Been doing this for a year now and AT&T hasn't said a word to me. Don't worry u should be fine. Great post

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
mnm0071980
Livin an iPhone 5 JB Life

Device: iPhone 5S
iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: Verizon
Android does this too. When I gave my girl my G1 phone, she didn't have a data plan, so we used a data blocker and it kills all data service going into the phone and its as if your just using a normal flip phone. AT&T nor any other service can find out. I think it's the same with the iPhone if you use SB settings, and you cut off the EDGE off the iphone. It won't work and no data can go into the phone since I know some people don't get the iphone with a data plan.
"I ain't a follower but I'm the wrong dude for you if your looking for a leader. I follow the life that I lead alone"

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
rockstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm0071980 View Post
Android does this too. When I gave my girl my G1 phone, she didn't have a data plan, so we used a data blocker and it kills all data service going into the phone and its as if your just using a normal flip phone. AT&T nor any other service can find out. I think it's the same with the iPhone if you use SB settings, and you cut off the EDGE off the iphone. It won't work and no data can go into the phone since I know some people don't get the iphone with a data plan.
One thing u are wrong about is that they know the type of phone u are using. As soon as u make a call or txt ur accounts gets updated and it tells them what phone u are using. This happens because of the imei. But since u haven't used the data they can't charge u on that. Plus they can't add it to it bill because that plan is not in ur current contract

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
bbOliver
iPhoneaholic

Here is hpw I got rid of my data plan.

Went and bought an iPhone (signed up for the data plan)
Got home put my SIM in a old motorola krazer i had (any phone that doesn't require data)
Called ATT said droped phone in toilet i'm pissed but the phone im using now doesnt have data and I dont want to pay for it
-they took off my data plan
Then requested a "data block" will not allow yur number o use data

then put my sim back in my iPhone which is now uncapable of using data (even if you turn 3g on)

yes they know i'm using an iPhone it shows on the website, but theres not shit they can do about it since you registered your sim on some POS phone and set a data block

GG ATT!

PS - if you call for support they wont help you lol they got mad that i did that and when my service was out they said they could not help me because what i did "messed" up the service . . . ass holes!

Unread 11-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #16
jimmyz
n00b

Carrier: Other
to Fido, Telus, Apple

I got a month-to month phone only plan from Telus. The guy at the store was very helpful in setting it up. He even took the sim out of his 3gs and put it in my 3gs to see if it worked or not. Mine was from Fido, JB'd and utrasnow unlock on 3.1.3 FW. Used it for 6 months before cancelling the phone plan.

I also have a 3g internet stick from Telus that I was able to use in my 3gs for data, after changing the APN. Worked like a charm. Telus customer service couldn't believe I was able to do it. Never told them my ph # or account info tho. They said I wasn't allowed to do it.
My Devices:
iPhone 4 32 GB iOS 4.2.1 BB 01.59.00 greenpois0n

iPhone 3GS 32 GB iOS 4.1 BB 05.14.02, carrier has unlocked, greenpois0n
iPad 4.2.1 BB unlocked

Unread 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
[AMM]Viper
ObsessiveFoxbodyDisorder

iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
So does this work guys??? I really would like to know

Unread 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #18
HAVOCHATE
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 9
i have been using a go phone sim card with unlimited calls and texts for over a year now and no problems at all , just have to purchase data to receive picture messages ,100 mb of data $20 never used all 100 mb in over a year wi-fi most of the time turn data on away from hot spot

Unread 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
slimjim2234
iPhone enthusiast

iOS Version: 6.1
My girlfriend's phone broke so i gave her my 3g and with data turned off she's been ok. No messages from att and i she's been using it since last august. Calling, texts, and wifi data works great but she can't get mms unfortunately.
  • Macbook pro 5,5
  • iPhone 3g black 16gb
  • iPhone 4 32gb
  • iPhone 5 64gb
  • quad-boot windows osx ubuntu backtrack thanks to rEFInd

Unread 06-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #20
HeathHackbarth
n00b

Device: iPod Touch 4
iOS Version: 3.1.2
Carrier: Verizon
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of gps jammer price, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.