You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > iOS Firmware > General Firmware Discussion & Questions

Notices

General Firmware Discussion & Questions General Discussion & Questions Not Related to a Specific Firmware
Questions about Upgrading | Downgrading
NO JAILBREAKING QUESTIONS!

Restoring only texts and pics
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
aolsux00
n00b

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: AT&T
Restoring only texts and pics

I am doing a clean install of OS 4.1 from 4.0 and I was wondering how I can only restore the text messages and pictures and not everything else like the settings and all that. I don't want to use the restore backup function in iTunes because it restores all these settings that I don't want. Thanks

Unread 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #2

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 5.1.1
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: AT&T
Thanked 2,027 Times in 890 Posts
I don't think you can selectively choose what you want to restore when using iTunes. In order to do what you want, you need to be jailbreak and SSH into your device. I'm using 3.1.3 so I'm not sure if this will be the same for iOS4, but I assume it would be. You need to SSH into your device and go to /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS. The Drafts and Parts folders are where any of the pics you sent/received in a txt are stored. The sms.db file is where all the text messages are stored. If I were you, I'd backup the entire SMS folder, so you can keep the pictures and whatnot, but if you're just concerned about saving the txts, then just backup the sms.db file. Keep note of the permissions of each folder/file you backup, so when you transfer them back you don't have any problems.

As for the pictures, since iOS4 changes the Camera.app, I'm not sure how the directories look compared to 3.1.3. On 3.1.3 I back up the entire /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM folder, this includes all the actual pictures and their thumbnails for the camera roll. Again, keep note of the permissions for each folder inside of /DCIM/.