You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > iOS Firmware > iOS 5 Firmware

Notices

iOS 5 Firmware iOS 5 Firmware Discussion
NO JAILBREAKING QUESTIONS!!!

iOS5... They're still missing...
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Haydius
Aussie xD

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.3
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: Other
iOS5... They're still missing...

SORRY FOR THIS BEING A LONG POST... SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM TO GET RIGHT TO THE LIST.

I'm pretty impressed by some of the features of iOS5, but I believe the latest installment in the iOS series is severely lacking. I still remember the first day I got my iPhone...
(Black iPhone 3G[S] 32G

I swear I was almost shaking like a leaf as I pulled it from its packaging. I couldn't beleive I was now an iPhone owner! But over time I began to feel that my iPhone was too bland and uninteresting. I did enjoy the variety of features, but was disappointed in how locked down the looks of the phone were. For all it's power and might, you think it'd be a little more creativity-friendly. And then...

I DISCOVERED JAILBREAKING!! At first the name was a put-off. Having never heard of the term before, it sounded like a "big no-no" illegal activity. Now I am a little more educated. So along with Jailbreaking, I found its partner-in-crime (pardon the pun) "Cydia" and I felt right at home. I set it to "Developer Mode" and quickly regretted that... lol But I understand the majority of the packages now.

I fell in love with the newfound features and greater levels of customisable looks and interativities my device now held. This was ten times more interesting than spending 2 hours a doy downloading continuous AppStore trials cause I was bored.

As time advanced, so did my skills, knowledge and understanding of the variety of Apple products. I am eager for the arrival of iOS5 and the next iPhone (Most likely iPhone 5 later this year or early 2012) to experience the latest thrills and joys of the advances of modern technology. I have already trialed the iOS5 beta in my 3G[S] and am pretty happy with what I saw.

Admittedly, the iOS5 would have appealed to me much more if it held some more features available currently on Cydia. Including but not limited to...

MY LIST (Well part of it... off the top of my head)

--Landscape ability ("SBRotator")\

--More items in context menu ("Action Menu Plus Pack")

--I rather enjoyed putting "AndroidLock XT" (Android Lock-screen clone) on my iPhone but I feel that wont be on any iOS release.

--"Barrel" is actually one of my favourite Cydia apps. When I first got my iPhone, I remember actually saying, "If only the iPhone main screen rotated in 3D like my LG phone." So needless to say, when I found this my fingers were already tapping my paypal in.

--Contact image thumbnails in Contacts. ("Cyntact") - This feature became really helpful when I synced all my Facebook contacts to my phone.

--("Display Recorder") isn't something I would say should be in iOS5 as default, but for one who creates apps for iDevices, this can become a great tool for creating small video tutorials of their app's features. Or even for personal use to teach a friend. Sure beats pointing that old webcam onto your phone screen LOL

--("iBlacklist") Why the hell didn't Apple think of this? Or build it into contacts. I can finally stop those telemarketers for good

--("iProtect") This is brilliant. Finally, I can let my little brother play games on my phone knowing he wont wipe half my phone in amongst his travels.

--("MyWi 4.0") - Internet tethering via Wifi!! I do not know if anything similar to this has been implemented in iOS5 but considering the ability to sync with itunes wirelessly, it grants the possibility...

--("TLert") - OMG this save me frustration! The amount of time I was halfway through something and then was forced to close the app just to reply to a meaningless text... This app was a godsend Works great for general use too.

--I loved the memory usage chart that comes with Cydia. Helped me out a few times.

--("ABGroup") - Group contacts... no description really needed. It's just handy!

Please post any apps/packages/features that you think the iOS should have. Who knows, maybe Apple may actually start listening to ther customers and make it happen

Haydius
I do think outside the box... but unfortunately the box is where I store all my good ideas :/

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Rafy0003
Hack Attack

Device: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 4.2
Carrier: Verizon
All I would really like implanted is (quick) text reply like when you tweet a photo on iOS 5, if you haven't tried it I would recommend trying it. The way it looks is nice. They should implement a quick text reply like that. Other than that everything is cool with me.
Most of the things you listed are optional tweaks that most people won't use, or wont have a big use for.

Unread 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Gawernator
Whited00r Rep

Device: iPhone 5S
iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: AT&T
There's no need for Apple to steal and inject every single Cydia tweak in existance into iOS, that would be ridiculous. That's why you jailbreak, you pick and choose what you want and install it. I prefer only having a small handful of tweaks because I prefer performance above all.
If I helped you, hit the thanks button please.
You can follow my Twitter @Whited00r

For users with 'older devices ', try custom firmware from whited00r

Unread 07-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Haydius
Aussie xD

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 4.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafy0003 View Post
Most of the things you listed are optional tweaks that most people won't use, or wont have a big use for.
Agreed, I am just one of those kinda people that hate having the exact same phone with the exact same features as every other person in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
I prefer only having a small handful of tweaks because I prefer performance above all.
Same here. Those listed are almost the only features I have installed and performance is still great. Thinking of getting an iPhone 4 and setting it up the same. More power, RAM, battery life. But debating whether there's any point cause I'm sure the iPhone 5 is just round the corner.

Unread 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
jobo
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 5.0
MyWi has been implemented since 4.3.3. It's in iOS 5 as well.

Unread 07-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Takeshi
Lemonade

Device: iPod Touch 5
iOS Version: 7.1.x
They will only implement features that are needed. Most of them you said they won't. You forgot about moving multiple icons, grid locking and putting more icons on your dock so you could move them left and right(same as springboard).

Unread 07-17-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Papas_Con_Chile
n00b

Device: iPod Touch 4
iOS Version: 4.2
--Landscape ability ("SBRotator")\ Its not needed
--I rather enjoyed putting "AndroidLock XT" (Android Lock-screen clone) on my iPhone but I feel that wont be on any iOS release. Not needed
--"Barrel" Not needed
--("Display Recorder") Not needed
--("MyWi 4.0") already on ios 4.3.3

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
WhoIsJ0n
n00b

Device: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.0.1
Carrier: AT&T
Although SBRotator isn't need I like it a I and I miss it I hope it can run on iOS5 soon.

Unread 11-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
jimaiwr
gaol br0ken

Device: iPhone 5
iOS Version: 7.0
this is what android users NEED to experience. they think iDevices are all un-customisable and "shit", but infact it is the BEST!
hit THANKS if I helped

Tags
apple, cydia, ios, ios5, iphone