You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    

Go Back   SiNfuL iPhone > Discussion | Help > How-To: Guides / Tutorials > iPhone > iPhone 3G

Notices

How to speed up Iphone 3g 4.2.1, and fake ios to get new apps
Unread 07-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
musician123
n00b

Device: iPhone 3G
iOS Version: 4.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Icon3 How to speed up Iphone 3g 4.2.1, and fake ios to get new apps

How to speed up Iphone 3g 4.2.1, and Get many of the features of the newest ios and iPhone models, Video Camera, and Apps.

iphone Compiled by musicin123, and sources

(I would not recommend doing this to other devices except 3g on ios 4.x, until someone has tested it, because I don’t know what will happen, and I nor anyone else but yourself will be held responsible.)

(Again I repeat, I nor any of these other authors of these tutorials are liable for any damage done to your iphone, you are doing this at your own risk, even though this is generally a very safe method if done correctly.)

1. Obviously be running a Jb iphone 3g, with ios 4.2.1, a cios is also ok that is what I use.
2. Install everything from Itunes and Cydia, which is what I am assuming you’ve done considering the lag in your iphone.
3. Do not watch the youtube video posted here, but only do what the description states, because the process in the video is different and will surely skrew your iphone up. Where as the description works.

Tutorial from Youtube video and link to video.

(All Credit to UrbanRave for the description of the video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpFbgWQo7I

OK, so here it is, its the only working memory solution for iOS 4. so u can have over 80MB free RAM

i have tried iMemory Enhancer, iPhoneVM and some other plists in LaunchDaemons
but nothing works. it only freeze your idevice

but here it is 2 plist files and u get ower 80MB free Ram
i have it on my iPod 2G

it is perfectly safe to do it, u can read about it here:
Virtual memory for iPad - iFans - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans forums

but i have done the plists so its redy to ssh them it to your iPhone, iPod or iPad.
and it works om iOS 4, but u need to be JailBroken

download these 2 files and ssh them in to your device.

com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist
put it in: /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/

com.apple.virtualMemory.plist
put it in: /private/var/preferences/

then just restart your idevice and u can do the same as in the video, (free up memory in the SBsettings)
and remember the video is only bekose it does the same thing and i dont have any cam right now so i stole this video, AND DONT FOLLOW THE VIDEO!!! bekose if u do then your iDevice is briked if u run iOS4 u have to do this in the description

u can follow me on Teitter: http://twitter.com/UrbanRave82

and if my eng is bad in some points its bekose im from Sweden.

Now after that is done, you may find that you are not fully running on 80mb of ram but rather somewhere around 30, so don’t fret about this. Because I have found that the iphone 3g on ios 4.2.1 remains relatively stable on this amount of ram.

4. Follow these instructions on deleting unnecessary shadowing and launch daemons, which has been posted on this website [How To] Get the most of your iPhone3G on 4.2.1 (speed features) - iFans - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans forums
by another author named Mr. Dodi.

[How To] Get the most of your iPhone3G on 4.2.1 (speed & features) Mr.Dodi

While Travelling around i noticed that alot of people i met, complaining about the iphone3G speed on 4.2.1. Some want to use the "unlockable" features like Background without using Winterboard, of use the Multitask/Fastswitch feature.
But activate them will usually cause them bothering with a slow and sloppy phone.
So i decided to put my old iphone3G out of the Trash and see what we can do.
I was able to use every "not 3G" feature on my device without experiencing any kind of laags or sloppyness. Its runs just perfectly.. great start-up times, and great usage while on Springboard etc.

And now ill tell you what you can do, you may already know some of the features / tweaks you can do, but i was unable to find a thread that focus on the iphone3G and on all features in one Thread. I wont focus on the "Basics" like how to SSH into your device and how to Jailbreak your device. If you dont know how to do that.. search the Forum, tons of threads in here.
So lets get started.

1. Requirements:
iPhone3G on 4.2.1
SSH-Program like WinSCP (Windows) or Cyberduck (MacOS)
latest redsn0w
WLan

2. Lets go!
So i would HIGHLY! recommend you, using a fresh 4.2.1 restored iPhone.
You may have done the iPad 06.15 Baseband unlock and you need now a CustomFW to restore, and avoid an error while restoring. Yes you CANT kick out or iPhone out of the RecoveryLoop on 4.2.1 thats why you need the CustomFW and i uploaded you one that works perfectly.

Click meee

Please note that you need redsn0w in ordner to Restore to a Custom FW!
Open Redsn0w point to your Official 4.2.1 IPSW and just check "boot into pwned DFU Mode" after its done, you can Restore to my CustomFW with iTunes.

Once your iPhone is restored and youre on 4.2.1 Jailbreak with the latest redsn0w. Feel free to use every features that can be enabled like Multitasking and Wallpapers. I promise you it WILL run perfectly. But make sure not to activate the ipad baseband button, since youre already on that.

So your iPhone is Jailbroken now, every feature is enabled and youre probably now like
Quote:
"uhhhm.. crap my iPhone is slow.."
youre right.. but were not done yet so calm down!
Before going to Cydia, make sure you go the the Settings.app and deactivate the automatic Lockdown.
And also here we come to our 1st improvment in Speed.
Deactivate EVERYTHING you don’t use in Spotlight searching options.

Make sure everything is unchecked.

Once youre done with those 2 steps, open Cydia, choose what you are..
(Developer) make sure you click the "Complete Update" option once Cydia is done. After your device is updated with Cydia, open Cydia again and install OpenSSH you can also already install SBSettings if you want to, but you dont have to yet.

So your device has restarted now, and you prepared your iPhone for more Tweaking and optimizing.
Connect via SSH to your iPhone.

Welcome to your iPhone File-System.
Our first step now is making your iPhone and your Springboard DRAMATICALLY! faster, by deleting Shadows (Some claim it looks worse, but I have not seen anything, and if it does I feel its better to gain speed and remove looks). By activating the Background / Wallpaper option, Apple / your iPhone also activates some Shadow effects for a "nice" look.. but thats one of the reasons why you think your iPhone may die in a few mins. because its sooo slow.

So change to the following directory on your iPhone:
Quote:
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
Once youre there delete the following Shadow Files.
Quote:
SwitcherShadowTop.png
SwitcherIconShadow~iphone.png
WallpaperIconDockShadow~iphone.png
WallpaperIconShadow~iphone.png
FolderShaodwBottomNotch~iphone.png
FolderShadowBottom~iphone.png
FolderShadowTopNotch~iphone.png
FolderShadowTop~iphone.png
Congratulations, youre one step ahead for a fast iPhone now.

Next up we remove some LaunchDaemons, you may already heard about it, and know what it is. But its a step we have to do, it will increase your start-up time alot and also free's alot of Ram. On my old-crumpy iPhone i get about 51-60mb of Free Ram.

So please change to your iPhone directory:
Quote:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons
And delete the following .plist files.

Quote:
com.apple.DumpPanic.plist
com.apple.ReportCrash.xxxxxx (xxxx means different names)
com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist
com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist
com.apple.aslmanager.plist
com.apple.syslogd.plist
com.apple.powerlog.plist
com.apple.stackshot.server.plist
com.apple.psctl.plist
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist

Additional:
com.apple.chud.chum.plist (if you use your iPhone3G as a developer device, you may not delete that one, normal users can just delete it)
com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist (if you use your iPhone3G as a developer device, you may not delete that one, normal users can just delete it)
com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist (Goggle / Exchange Sync)
com.apple.racoon.plist (Virtual Private Networks)
com.apple.AOSNotification.plis (Mobile Me / Find my iPhone)
com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist (Tethering)
com.apple.scrod.plist (Voice Control)
You can delete the additionals too if you dont use the features that i wrote in the Boxes.

So you now have Deleted and Removed everything that is causing a laggy Device with the new Features.

Please restart your iPhone now! Restart it by Shuting it down via SBSettings or the Normal Shutdown.. you may notice a laag while shuting down, thats normal, if your iphone get stuck.. to a force restart with the home+Sleep button.. please notice that after a force-restart the iPhone does on its Boot-Up a FileSystem / Disk check, so you may see a longer Start-Up as usuall. If you want an actuall Boot-Up speed test, you have to shutdown the iPhone normally.

When your iPhone is back on, you will see the improvments. Switching Pages on the Springboard is laag-free as it has to be. Folders, and Multitasking works just perfectly, i can run up to 4 .apps without having any problems at all.
You can now Set-Up your iPhone with iTunes as usuall. Make sure you use the option "use as new iPhone" and dont install a Backup.. because that will cause the iphone to "reinstall" old settings.. and it might be laggy and slow again.

Oh and ye, just on a side-note.. if you want to play online via GameCenter, you can do it.. ive done a great Guide a few Month ago, just have a look at it.

[How To] GameCenter iPhone3G [4.2.1] - iFans - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans forums

My personal insert musician123: It is not necessary to remove multitasking; it will speed it up a little, but after doing all of the stuff before it appears to not be a slow issue, same as sb settings and its dependences.

3. Fix Multitasking-Springboard Crash
So when using Multitasking and you want to switch trough the different apps, you will notice that your Springboard will crash.
To avoid this, please head over to the Thread of my Friend xXrkidXx who made a good and short Guide how to fix it.

Click me!

After this is complete, just as an FYI, a decent amount of new ios apps will run on iphone 3g, to be able to spoof your ios, go to this website and follow these instructions.( This sometimes does not run on the iphone 3g 4.x quite intermittent nothing I can do, you can change it by hand if you please by going to

3. Go to /.
4. Go to System.
5. Go to Library.
6. Go to CoreServices.
7. Open SystemVersion.plist.
8. Press Edit.
9. Go under ProductVersion
10. Where it says (YourFirmware) type the firmware you want
12.Find were it says build and make sure you enter the correct build also.
11. Press Save then Done

Read more: How to Spoof/fake iPod Touch Firmware | Gameolosophy).
FWChanger Gone But Not Forgotten | iJailbreak.com - Apple | Jailbreak | Unlock | Cydia | Tweaks | Guides

(If you cant sync because of Fwchanger, I would recommend making sure the ios of that your faking is the same as your actual one, or else you'll get some fatal error in Itunes. If you don't understand just check my other post/reply)

Also, to add a Video Camera, and a better overall Camera with a ton of features,
add source: cydia.myrepospace.com/fernas/ or afigi939's Repository - MyRepoSpace.com
And then in the source look for IOS4 Camera, or camera pro!

Also, you can attempt to delete retina images off the 3g and 3gs, but I wont post it here because I have had issues deleting them forcing me to restore before.

Hopefully this tutorial worked for you as it did for me and you benefit from not figuring it out and piecing it together lol.

If this worked for you please leave an appropriate comment below, if you need any further help I may be able to assist. Just leave a comment below or pm me.

Extra hints: Remember to clean the Multitasking cash daily, and do a daily reboot. Both of these will dramatically increase the iPhone's speed. Also by replacing the first two plists every now and again will also dramatically help. If i find any more methods that illegitimate work I will edit and post them here.

Sources:
FWChanger Gone But Not Forgotten | iJailbreak.com - Apple | Jailbreak | Unlock | Cydia | Tweaks | Guides

[How To] GameCenter iPhone3G [4.2.1] - iFans - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpFbgWQo7I

Last edited by musician123; 12-21-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: For Got to Add a extra how to
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to musician123 For This Useful Post:
aineal (02-26-2012), airkemal (09-24-2011), bianchin69 (07-25-2011), bogdans (10-28-2011), Comokanu (10-28-2011), defrag14 (07-24-2012), fcbiphone (11-04-2011), ftb32 (06-05-2014), hansgmuny (07-01-2013), kevinv710 (02-22-2012), KillerBee (10-18-2011), manumouse (10-07-2011), Mikeny (09-24-2011), pavilion06 (10-07-2011), pennywaltz (11-02-2011), predator (08-30-2011), shinmark (08-14-2011), skjiro (07-25-2011), SuBLiNeR (11-14-2012), therisingking (09-18-2011), UrbanRave (12-19-2013), vuralk (01-08-2013), Wagstoke (01-27-2013), wiley6701 (08-14-2011)

Unread 07-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
bianchin69
Rockin my Jailbroken i5

Device: iPhone 5
iOS Version: 7.0
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
Carrier: Other
Thanked 1,413 Times in 952 Posts
Nice guide thank you

Catch a man a fish and he will eat for a day.Teach a man to fish and he will eat for ever.
[GUIDE]/How to fix Safemode Loop and 90% of Problems - SiNfuL iPhone

If I or anyone else have helped you ...

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
carlos1997
n00b

Carrier: AT&T
Wow, thanks for the guide, my phone feels like new again!

Unread 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
therisingking
iPhoneaholic

iOS Version: 4.2.x
Amazing thank you!
----ŦħŘįϰģЌɭηԍ----
GameCenter - therisingking
iPhone 3G-4.2.1-No Service/Data plan

Hit THANKS if I helped.

Unread 09-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
airkemal
n00b

Device: iPhone 3GS
iOS Version: 5.0.1
Hey

I have tried your memorystuff on my 3G_BB6.15_4.2.1,
well done dude.

Its running like hell! available Memory 86!!!! Great!

now i gonna try the other stuff!

THX
BK

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
g200
totes_def

just what i've been looking for , thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to g200 For This Useful Post:
earldev (02-16-2012)

iOS 4.2.1 custom with iPAD baseband 6.15
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
pavlosh13
n00b

iOS 4.2.1 custom with iPAD baseband 6.15

Can somebody tell me where I can download custom firmware 4.2.1 with iPAD baseband?

Unread 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
compaq1789
Jailbroken

Let me google that for you
iphone 3G iOs 4.2.1 jailbroken, unlocked
ipod 4th gen 64gb 5.0.1 jailbroken

Unread 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
manumouse
n00b

Carrier: o2
Great guide, tried it on my phone and the speed difference is very noticeable, its like i have a new phone

Unread 10-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
popolink
n00b

thank i'll test

Unread 10-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
thamanisn
n00b

This worked great!! Thanks for spreading the knowledge.

Unread 10-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
KillerBee
Jailbroken

Device: iPhone 4S
iOS Version: 6.1.2
iTunes Version: iTunes 11
this works great! Thanks for your guide

Unread 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
icemanx2
iPhoneaholic

iOS Version: 5.1.1
thanks for this infos!

Unread 10-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
bogdans
just sayin'

thank you so much!

Too Many Questions to Start . . .
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
wlt
Jailbroken

Too Many Questions to Start . . .

You'll hafta forgive me, but I'm ignorant in these things, but how do you go about editing where all these plists and such are supposed to go?

I set a path and such, but have never dunnit on a UNIX based platform.

I'd like to try this out, but I've got too many questions to do it and I need the phone since I don't have a job.

Any clues or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
-- Albert Einstein

Unread 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
GalaxyMmmm
n00b

iOS Version: 3.1
Followed this and its much improved, thanks for the guide!

Unread 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
casted
n00b

Device: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 4.1
great gob thxs for the heads up XD

Thaks!
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
stevenmj
n00b

iOS Version: 3.1.3
iTunes Version: iTunes 8
Thaks!

I'll give it a try

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #19
stevenmj
n00b

iOS Version: 3.1.3
iTunes Version: iTunes 8
It works great. I changed a couple things that made my phone even faster. 1st, I deleted the files that enable the paging/swap file because I was getting some crashes and I feel it is more stable
without. 2nd, I uninstalled SBSettings because I've always felt it was slowing things down more than speeding them up. Then I installed "backgrounder" to manage multitasking. Everything is even faster than ever and no crashes. It's a great guide though. Thanks very much.

3g

Unread 11-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
mell
iPhoneaholic

any one running Navigon 1.6 and up on this modded 4.2.1? I got Navigon Crashed on Custom
firmware 4.2.1 with BB 05.13.04,thanks for any input!

Tags
increase iphone ram, iphone 3g 4.2.1 ram, speed up iphone 3g 4.2.1